[MyAppleMenu] Nov 21, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 21 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** iPad Apps For Editing Your Photos Like A Pro ***
<http://www.cnet.com/news/ipad-apps-for-editing-your-photos-like-a-pro/>
Jason Parker, CNET

> After reviewing Pixelmator for iPad, I wanted to see how it stacked up against its biggest competitors in the photo-editing category.

*** iWork For iCloud Updated With Eight New Languages, Easier Document Renaming And More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/21/iwork-for-icloud-updated-with-eight-new-languages-easier-document-renaming-and-more/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has updated its iWork for iCloud web-based productivity suite with eight new languages, the ability to rename documents in the editor and a few minor additional enhancements.

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: Missing Artwork, Shuffling iTunes 12, And Gifting Movies ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2849798/ask-the-itunes-guy-missing-artwork-shuffling-itunes-12-and-gifting-movies.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> It’s time for a grab-bag column. Some of this week’s questions deal with iTunes 12: What do you do when album art disappears? How do you mark TV shows as watched? And how do you play music in shuffle mode in iTunes 12? I also look at a question about gifting a movie you’ve purchased from the iTunes store, and an app-updating problem with iOS 8.

*** Bugs And Fixes: What's With Yosemite Renaming Shared Computers? ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2849849/bugs-and-fixes-whats-with-yosemite-renaming-shared-devices.html#tk.rss_all>
Ted Landau, Macworld

> You can, of course, reset the name of your computer in the Sharing System Preferences pane. But this is not a cure. The renaming will soon begin again.
> Various work-arounds can potentially put a permanent stop to the matter. The one that most people report as successful is to disable “Wake for Wi-Fi network access” (called “Wake for network access” on some Macs) in the Energy Saver System Preferences pane.

*** Professional Coders Step In To Teach School Kids To Program The Future ***
<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/professional-coders-step-in-to-teach-school-kids-to-program-the-future-20141121-11rbvd.html>
Jewel Topsfield, The Sydney Morning Herald

*** Facebook Groups (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472468,00.asp>
Michael Muchmore, PC Magazine

> The Facebook Groups app for iPhone offers a convenient way to discover, create, and interact with organizations and interest groups on Facebook from a mobile device. Moreover, its design is familiar, clean, and intuitive, while still adding some new-style gestures. But I'm disappointed that it's missing some capabilities already found in the standard Facebook app and the desktop version of the social network.

*** Apple Ends Patent War On Android, Deal Suggests ***
<https://gigaom.com/2014/11/20/apple-ends-patent-war-on-android-deal-suggests/>
Jeff John Roberts, GigaOM

*** Apple Is Coming To The Aid Of Small Retailers ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/20/apple-is-coming-to-the-aid-of-small-retailers/>
Viktor Marohnić, TechCrunch

> Apple Pay, iBeacon and local app discovery functions make it possible to create an app that will be much more useful for customers and will drive engagement that both users and business owners can benefit from.

*** How I Track My Expenses: Next For iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/how-i-track-my-expenses-next-for-iphone-and-ipad/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Next is a fantastic example of how iOS apps should be designed to take advantage of the platform they're made for. I'm pretty good at managing my expenses now, and I owe that to Next.

*** Mint Adds Touch ID Support, New Way To Give You The Latest On Your Money ***
<http://www.imore.com/mint-adds-touch-id-support-new-way-give-you-latest-your-money>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> The Updates view gives you quick access to the latest activity from your account. Mint has also increased app security, adding support for Touch ID.

*** Google, Rockstar Agree To Settle Patent Litigation: Filing ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/20/us-google-rockstar-settlement-idUSKCN0J41ZJ20141120>
Andrew Chung and Dan Levine, Reuters

*** Apple Pay Integration Arrives On Disney Store App ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-pay-integration-arrives-disney-store-app-let-you-check-out-faster>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

*** No, You Can’t Manufacture That Like Apple Does ***
<https://medium.com/@BoltVC/no-you-cant-manufacture-that-like-apple-does-93bea02a3bbf>
Ben Einstein, Medium

> If you see a feature on an Apple device you want to copy, try to find it on another company’s product. If you do, it’s probably okay to design into your product. Otherwise, lower your expectations. I assure you it’ll be better for your startup.

*** Evernote Launches Yosemite Redesign ***
<http://www.macstories.net/mac/evernote-launches-yosemite-redesign/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Version 6.0 also bring desktop support for Work Chat, a communication feature launched last month. Work Chat lets you discuss notes and exchange messages with other Evernote users you collaborate with, and it's available on iOS devices as well.

*** The Group That Rules The Web ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/group-rules-web>
Paul Ford, New Yorker

> You might have read that, on October 28th, W3C officially recommended HTML5. And you might know that this has something to do with apps and the Web. The question is: Does this concern you?

*** Stop Trying To Save The World ***
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120178/problem-international-development-and-plan-fix-it?src=longreads>
Michael Hobbes, New Republic

> Let’s not pretend to be surprised by any of this. The PlayPump story is a sort of <i>Mad Libs</i> version of a narrative we’re all familiar with by now: Exciting new development idea, huge impact in one location, influx of donor dollars, quick expansion, failure.

*** Book review: ‘Deep Dark Down,’ by Héctor Tobar ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-deep-dark-down-by-hector-tobar/2014/11/20/e3d30768-69e3-11e4-9fb4-a622dae742a2_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Noah Gallagher Shannon, Washington Post