[MyAppleMenu] Nov 18, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 18 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** A Power User’s Guide To OS X Server, Yosemite Edition ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/a-power-users-guide-to-os-x-server-yosemite-edition/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> OS X Server is in maintenance mode. That much was clear when Mavericks Server came out a year ago with just a handful of welcome-but-minor tweaks and improvements. The software hasn’t grown stagnant, really—certainly not to the extent of something like Apple Remote Desktop, which only gets updated when it’s time to support a new OS X version. But now OS X Server is changing very little from version to version, and since the untimely death of the Mac Mini Server, Apple isn't even selling any kind of server-oriented hardware.
> Still, the Yosemite version of OS X Server changes enough to be worth revisiting. As with our pieces on Mavericks and Mountain Lion, this article should be thought of as less of a review and more of a guided tour through everything you can do with OS X Server. We’ll pay the most attention to the new stuff, but we’ll also detail each and every one of OS X Server’s services, explaining what it does, how to use it, and where to find more information about it. In cases where nothing has changed, we have re-used portions of last year's review with updated screenshots and links.

*** OS X Yosemite Update Fails To Solve Mac Wi-Fi Mess ***
<http://www.computerworld.com/article/2848835/os-x-yosemite-update-fails-to-solve-mac-wi-fi-mess.html>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> Early indications from the most active support discussion thread was that the 10.10.1 update did nothing to help.

*** iOS 8.1.1 Brings Fixes For Share Sheet Extension Reordering, iCloud Crashes ***
<http://www.macstories.net/ios/ios-8-1-1-brings-fixes-for-share-sheet-extension-reordering-icloud-crashes/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> What Apple doesn't specifically address in their release notes are two welcome fixes that people who use iOS devices extensively will likely notice: the order of action and share extensions in the system share sheet now sticks across apps and app relaunches; and, the iCloud hanging/crashing bug appears to be gone.

*** Apple Releases OS X 10.10.1 With Wi-Fi Reliability Fixes And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-releases-os-x-10101>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> This update fixes Wi-Fi issues with Yosemite, as well as connections with Microsoft Exchange servers.

*** Why I Am Teaching A Course Called “Wasting Time On The Internet” ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/wasting-time-on-the-internet>
Keneth Goldsmith, New Yorker