[MyAppleMenu] Nov 12, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 12 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Monument Valley's First New Levels Arrive With Latest Update ***
<http://www.imore.com/monument-valleys-first-new-levels-arrive-latest-update>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> The eight new levels, referred to in-game as Appendices, can be added to the game with an in-app purchase of $1.99.

*** Review: iPad Air 2 Is The Best Tablet Ever (Until Next Year) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2846462/review-ipad-air-2-is-the-best-tablet-ever-until-next-year.html#tk.rss_all>
Susie Ochs, Macworld

*** What's Eating Up Your Hard Drive? These 5 Utilities Tell All ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2846014/whats-eating-up-your-hard-drive-these-5-utilities-tell-all.html#tk.rss_all>
Michael Simon, Macworld

> From clearing caches to deleting old mail attachments and forgotten files, a little diligence can go a long way toward keeping that precious space clear. But if you don’t have the time or patience to run maintenance scripts and root out browser caches, there are more than a few willing hands to help you out in the Mac App Store. A quick scan of the Utilities section will reveal an abundance of disk cleaners and inspectors that all promise to seek out the cruft that might be taking up necessary room and help you reclaim some of the space you’ve lost. Finding the right one for your needs can be arduous work, but to get you started, I took a look at five of them.

*** Box For iOS Updated With Touch ID Support, Today Widget, Favorites Feature And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/11/box-for-ios-updated-with-touch-id-support-today-widget-favorites-feature-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> One of the most notable new features brought by the app’s latest update is support for unlocking Box using Touch ID as an alternative to passcode protection in iOS 8.

*** AOL's MapQuest Now Offers Roadside Assistance Powered By Urgent.ly ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/11/aols-mapquest-now-offers-roadside-assistance-powered-by-urgent-ly>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Slow Fast Slow Goes Free In Huge Update; Brings Support For iOS 8, iPhone 6 And 6 Plus ***
<http://www.imore.com/slow-fast-slow-goes-free-huge-update-brings-ios-8-and-iphone-6-and-6-plus-support>
Dan Thorp-Lancaster, iMore

> Slow Fast Slow, an app for manipulating the speed of iPhone videos, has received a huge update today. The app, now in version 2.0, follows other apps in bringing support for iOS 8 as well as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

*** Introduction To The Swift REPL ***
<https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=18>
Swift Blog, Apple

> Xcode 6.1 introduces yet another way to experiment with Swift in the form of an interactive Read Eval Print Loop, or REPL. Developers familiar with interpreted languages will feel comfortable in this command-line environment, and even experienced developers will find a few unique features.

*** Netflix Updated For iOS 8, Adds 1080P Video Playback For iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/11/netflix-1080p-iphone-6/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Must Face U.S. Lawsuit Over Vanishing iPhone Text Messages ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/11/us-apple-lawsuit-textmessages-idUSKCN0IV1TK20141111?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews>
Jonathan Stempel, Reuters

> U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California said Apple must face plaintiff Adrienne Moore's claim that the message blocking interfered with her contract with Verizon Wireless for wireless service, which she kept after switching in April to a Samsung Galaxy S5 from an iPhone 4.
> Moore, who seeks class-action status and unspecified damages, claimed that Apple failed to disclose how its iOS 5 software operating system would obstruct the delivery of "countless" messages from other Apple device users if iPhone users switched to non-Apple devices.

*** Assassin's Creed Unity Gets An iPhone And iPad Companion App ***
<http://www.imore.com/assassins-creed-unity-gets-android-companion-app>
John Callaham, iMore

*** Horror Vacui ***
<http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2014/11/11/horror_vacui/>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

> Empty space is not useless.

*** Mindsuckers: Meet Nature's Nightmare ***
<http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/11/mindsuckers/zimmer-text?src=longreads>
Carl Zimmer, Photographs by Anand Varma, Graphic Novellas by Matthew Twombly, National Geographic Magazine