[MyAppleMenu] Nov 11, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 11 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Cloud Storage In iOS 8.1 Doesn't Work As You Expect ***
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/2845623/cloud-storage/cloud-storage-in-ios-81-doesnt-work-as-you-expect.html>
Galen Gruman, InfoWorld

> Box, Dropbox, and Google Drive all support Apple's cloud storage APIs, but only Box works with direct open and save for files.

*** Brookstone Perfect Bake ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471670,00.asp>
Alex Colon, PC Magazine

> The Perfect Bake kit works with your tablet to tell you how to make hundreds of baked goods, and guides you through the process, measuring ingredients as you add them to a connected scale and automatically compensating for over-pouring.

*** OpenTable (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471799,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> No website or mobile app for making restaurant reservations is as widely used by both customers and businesses as OpenTable. For years, the service has taken phone calls out of the booking equation, providing easy-to-use tools for anyone with an Internet connection. Finding a restaurant with availability and making a reservation, whether in your hometown or while traveling, has never been so convenient. Even paying at the end of the meal is easier with OpenTable. It's by far the best service and the mobile app for making and managing restaurant reservations.

*** Tim Cook On Apple Watch, Payments And Getting TV Right ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/tim-cook-on-apple-watch-payments-and-getting-tv-right-full-video-1415660136>
Wall Street Journal

> Mr. Cook said Apple can’t just make a bunch of “geeky” watches and expect to succeed. Apple had to get into the fashion business. That is “totally new for us,” he said.

*** How To View Your Recent Transactions With Apple Pay ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-view-recent-transactions-apple-pay>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> Apple Pay doesn't just make it easy to purchase items in-store and online, but also to keep track of your purchases. You can view recent transactions in Passbook, and, depending on whether or not your credit card and bank support it, a longer transactional history in Settings. Here's how!

*** How To Use Continuity For iPhone, iPad, And Mac: The Ultimate Guide ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-use-continuity-iphone-ipad-and-mac-ultimate-guide>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Although these features are all grouped under the same name, they all have different requirements and all work in different ways. Luckily, they're also easy to set up and easy to use once you know how!

*** Apple's Enterprise Assault Gets Into Higher Gear ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/10/us-apple-ibm-enterprise-exclusive-idUSKCN0IU2ED20141110?irpc=932>
Christina Farr and Bill Rigby, Reuters

> Apple Inc is embarking on its most aggressive expansion yet onto corporate turf, hiring a dedicated sales force to talk with potential clients like Citigroup Inc and working in concert with a dozen or so developers, two sources familiar with its plans say.

*** Apple Quietly Hires UK Team From Map App Pin Drop Amid Rumors Of A Cambridge Office ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/10/apple-uk-cambridge/>
Ingrid Lunden, TechCrunch

> Apple has been building up its regional presence outside of Cupertino, and the United Kingdom appears to be one of its latest targets. The company is reportedly “weeks” away from opening a new office in the university town of Cambridge, UK — news that comes on the heels of Apple quietly hiring five employees from the defunct London-based mapping app Pin Drop.

*** WireLurker, Masque Attack Malware Only A Threat For Users Who Disable Apple's iOS, OS X Security ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/10/wirelurker-masque-attack-malware-only-a-threat-for-users-who-disable-apples-ios-os-x-security>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

> Mac and iOS users are protected from viruses and malware by default unless the user bypasses their security systems, by jailbreaking an iOS device; by disabling the protections of Mac OS X's GateKeeper; or by choosing to "Trust" app installs that iOS identifies as being from an "Untrusted App Developer." Here's how those systems work, and how users can avoid being tricked into turning off their own security.

*** iPad Is Apple's Unanswered Revolution ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/10/7172869/ipad-is-apples-unanswered-revolution>
Vlad Savov, The Verge

> As a device, the iPad is vulnerable to the caprices of an evolving and increasingly saturated market. As a platform for a new type of mobile computing, however, it now appears unassailable.

*** How To Protect Yourself From ‘Masque Attacks’ That Replace iOS Apps With Malware ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/11/10/how-to-protect-yourself-from-masque-attacks-that-replace-ios-apps-with-malware/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> This vulnerability uses the same enterprise provisioning routines that are used by WireLurker, but the approach that WireLurker uses is a limited form of a wider problem with iOS that allows an app to be replaced by another one using the same app bundle identifier.

Do not jailbreak. Do not install apps from anywhere except Apple's App Store.

*** Instagram Makes Discovery Easier, Adds Caption Editing ***
<http://www.imore.com/instagram-makes-discovery-easier-adds-caption-editing>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** Learning How Little We Know About The Brain ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/science/learning-how-little-we-know-about-the-brain.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
James Gorman, New York Times

> Yet the growing body of data — maps, atlases and so-called connectomes that show linkages between cells and regions of the brain — represents a paradox of progress, with the advances also highlighting great gaps in understanding.

*** Book Review: ‘Revival,’ By Stephen King ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-revival-by-stephen-king/2014/11/10/bf86b506-668e-11e4-836c-83bc4f26eb67_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Elizabeth Hand, Washington Post