[MyAppleMenu] Nov 10, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 10 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** iThoughtsX And Marked 2, Together At Last ***
<http://brettterpstra.com/2014/11/09/ithoughtsx-and-marked-2-together-at-last/>
Brett Terpstra

> iThoughtsX is currently my favorite mind mapping tool on OS X. Marked 2 is, obviously, my favorite way to preview Markdown. Now they work together. You can simply drag an iThoughtsX map file to Marked, and it will start previewing an outline of your map as you work.

*** Microsoft’s Nadella Talks About The Future Of Office ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/microsofts-nadella-talks-about-the-future-of-office/?_r=0>
Nick Wingfield, New York Times

> Even if Microsoft is still struggling to establish its credibility in mobile, Mr. Nadella insists no other company is as preoccupied with productivity applications.
> “Who else will care as much about the craftsmanship of these tools and obsess about it to give it to everybody on the planet so that they can get stuff done?” he asked.

*** Trying–and Failing Miserably–to Love The iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2014/11/tryingand-failing-miserablyto-love-the-iphone-6-plus/#27060103=0&28287101=0>
Dwight Silverman, Houston Chronicle

> The iPhone 6 Plus is, technically, an excellent phone, and in a couple of ways is superior to the standard 6. But the overall size proved to be increasingly annoying to me. Instead of getting used to it, I grew to dread having to pull it out of my pocket to use it. Once I realized I wasn’t going to come around, I went back to my own phone.

*** Apple iPod Antitrust Trial: Consumers Say iTunes Was Monopoly ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_26903078/apple-ipod-antitrust-trial-consumers-say-itunes-was>
Howard Mintz, San Jose Mercury News

> In a federal court trial beginning Wednesday with jury selection, Apple will try to fend off allegations that it violated antitrust laws through tech maneuvers that once restricted music downloads for iPods to its iTunes store.

*** Chasing Relevancy At Any Cost, Even Free ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/business/media/for-bono-and-u2-apple-itunes-partnership-finally-hits-a-wrong-note.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
David Carr, New York Times

> In truth, U2 is on a dead run to remain relevant and avoid turning into a nostalgia act that makes buckets of money on tour but produces records people no longer care about — the Rolling Stones come to mind. Bono will tell anyone who will listen that the new album, which is written as a kind of origin story for U2, reflects the band at its best and most personal. He did not want a project that took five years to finish to then be missed by indifferent, busy ears. Thus the iTunes gambit.

*** 3 Key Things To Know About Yosemite And Security ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2844939/three-key-things-to-know-about-yosemite-and-security.html#tk.rss_all>
Chuck La Tournous, Macworld

*** Notability Updated With iOS 8 Compatibility, iPhone 6 Support And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/11/notability-updated-with-ios-8-compatibility-iphone-6-support-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** New Apple iMessage De-registration Tool Lets You Switch To Android, Reclaim Your SMS ***
<http://www.imore.com/new-apple-imessage-de-registration-tool-lets-you-switch-another-os-reclaim-your-sms>
Cuong H Nguyen, iMore

> The web-based tool allows you to enter your phone number into the system to de-regsiter it. Once entered, Apple will send you a confirmation code via SMS. Type the code into the browser and your de-registration will be complete.
> The release of the tool follows years of complaints about missing SMS/MMS messages from people switching away from iPhone. Although it's unclear how discoverable the new tool will be, it should at least make the process faster once it is discovered.

*** A Week With The Retina iMac: Closing Thoughts On Apple’s Newest Desktop ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/a-week-with-the-retina-imac-closing-thoughts-on-apples-newest-desktop/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Yes, it's expensive, but it has no major dealbreakers and you get a lot for what you pay, and even the base configuration is going to get you a fast CPU and GPU, a decent amount of RAM with two slots free for easy upgrades, and a Fusion Drive (I've been using one for two years in my 2012 iMac and only rarely run into situations where it feels much slower than a "pure" SSD).

*** Cultural Adventures In Payment Systems – Part I ***
<http://www.mondaynote.com/2014/11/09/cultural-adventures-in-payment-systems-part-i-4/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+monday-note+%28Monday+Note%29>
Jean-Louis Gassée, Monday Note

> Perhaps this was the heart of the “Trust Gap” between Europe and the US: Europeans have no problem trusting electronic commerce as long as it doesn’t involve people; Americans trust people, not machines.

*** This Is Qualcomm’s World And We’re All Just Living In It ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/5/7159559/qualcomms-world>
Vlad Savov, The Verge

> Qualcomm is the mobile industry’s equivalent of a god: omnipotent and omnipresent, yet invisible to the naked eye. The company that was founded on the premise of building "Quality Communications" can now be found inside every major smartphone in the US. Even the fiercely independent Apple, which designs its own mobile processors, has no choice but to use Qualcomm’s LTE modems.

*** The Alaska Of Giants And Gods ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/17/alaska-giants-gods>
Dave Eggers, New Yorker