[MyAppleMenu] Nov 8, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 8 18:59:00 EST 2014

Getting that refund is that a simple and fast process though.

*** Apple Integrates Genius Bar Reservations To Online Support Options ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/07/apple-integrates-genius-bar-reservations-to-online-support-options>
AppleInsider

> With the new structure, customers are able to sign up for Genius Bar appointments directly through Apple's Support webpage, a change from the previous reservations system.

*** Hash Tries To Reinvent Twitter For Folks Who Don’t Want To Tweet ***
<https://gigaom.com/2014/11/07/hash-tries-to-reinvent-twitter-for-folks-who-dont-want-to-tweet/>
Janko Roettgers, GigaOM

> Many people simply don’t get Twitter. Hash wants to be the Twitter app for folks who don’t want to interact on the service.

*** Microsoft Band: Killer On The Inside, 'Meh' On The Outside ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/11/07/microsoft-band-review/>
Smaantha Murphy Kelly, Mashable

> Microsoft's first jump into wearables is a good one: it has the software down, but the hardware has room for improvement, especially when it comes to size, style and display.

*** How To Recover Deleted Photos & Video From iPhone & iPad The Easy Way ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/11/07/recover-deleted-photos-from-ios/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

*** Unsealed GT Advanced Court Documents Give Insight Into Apple's Business Practices ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/07/gt-advanced-apple-privacy-agreement/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

Also:
• <a href="http://online.wsj.com/articles/gt-advanced-apple-employed-a-bait-and-switch-strategy-1415383370">Apple Accused of ‘Bait and Switch’</a> (Daisuke Wakabayashi and Peg Brickley, Wall Street Journal)

*** iCloud Drive Stumbles ***
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2014/11/icloud-drive-stumbles>
David Sparks, MacSparky

> I am under no illusions that Apple can magically become the masters of cloud sync overnight, especially when they’ve been behind competitors like Google for so long. I was prepared for a few rough patches as the software released but I was not prepared for the problems I faced when Yosemite finally hit the streets and iCloud Drive was a real thing and no longer a beta thing.

*** How To Encrypt Your Time Machine Backups ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/11/07/how-to-encrypt-your-time-machine-backups/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> If your backup drive is not encrypted, then this makes it far easier for a thief to simply steal the drive and have all of your data. Therefore, if you use Time Machine, then unless your backup drive is in a locked and secure location (e.g., a Time Capsule locked in a closet), be sure to encrypt your backups.

*** Fitbit Fitness Tracking Lineup Dropped From Apple Online Store ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/07/apple-store-drops-fitbit/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> While the Bose move is highly suspected to be related to Apple’s purchase of Beats Electronics earlier this year, Apple could have dropped Fitbit for any number of reasons including lack of support for iOS 8’s HealthKit feature and direct competition from Apple’s upcoming Watch which includes fitness and health tracking features.

*** How To Make Copies Of All Your Old Camera's Pictures ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2844707/how-to-make-copies-of-all-your-old-cameras-pictures.html#tk.rss_all>
Christpher Breen, Macworld

*** Pocket Casts 5 Gets A New Player Design, Interactive Notifications, And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/pocket-casts-5-gets-new-player-design-interactive-notifications-and-more>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Bigger controls dominate the lower part of the screen, with a large Play/Pause button, along with new skip buttons. The buttons to skip forward and back now show you the amount of time they will skip, which can be adjusted in the apps settings. Additionally, you no longer access Up Next and episode information by pressing buttons, instead swiping back and forth on the podcast artwork.

*** The Sins Of The Father ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/book-review-suspended-sentences-by-patrick-modiano-birth-of-a-bridge-by-maylis-de-kerangal-1415392448>
Sam Sacks, Wall Street Journal

> Such themes give this autobiographical fiction a broader national significance. But Mr. Modiano is also profoundly regionalist. For all his stories’ ambiguities, Paris’s streets and sights are transcribed with emphatic specificity.

*** The Unbelievable Skepticism Of The Amazing Randi ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/magazine/the-unbelievable-skepticism-of-the-amazing-randi.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Adam Higginbotham, New York Times

> The Million Dollar Challenge was the climax of the Amazing Meeting, or TAM, an annual weekend-long conference for skeptics that was created by a magician named the Amazing Randi in 2003. Randi, a slight, gnomish figure with a bald head and frothy white beard, was presiding from the front row, a cane topped with a polished silver skull between his legs. He drummed his fingers on the table in front of him.

*** Jennifer Egan: ‘Writing Is An Act Of Faith’ Against The Rise Of Technology ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/07/jennifer-egan-writing-technologies-short-stories>
Sarah Galo, The Guardian

> “Anxiety about the future of reading is something we can’t think about when we write. It’s an existential feeling that can hinder us, so it’s better to forget and keep writing. It is this hope that the practice of writing, and reading, matters that should motivate us.”

*** Johanna Skibsrud’s ‘Quartet For The End Of Time’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/books/review/johanna-skibsruds-quartet-for-the-end-of-time.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Andrea Thompson, New York Times