[MyAppleMenu] Nov 7, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 7 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: Demystifying Artwork, Wish Lists, And Alerts In iTunes 12 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2844024/ask-the-itunes-guy-more-itunes-12-questions.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

*** iCloud Drive Is Not A Dropbox Replacement ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15216?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

*** Tweetbot Developer Tapbots Releases Calcbot Calculator And Converter App For Mac ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/11/tweetbot-developer-tapbots-releases-calcbot-calculator-app-for-mac>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Blocks Infected WireLurker Apps From Running ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2844812/apple-blocks-infected-wirelurker-apps-from-running.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeremy Kirk, Macworld

*** Mark Zuckerberg Finally Explains Why He Forced You To Download The Standalone Messenger App ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/6/7170791/mark-zuckerberg-finally-explains-why-he-forced-you-to-download-the>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

> "Having to go into an app and take a bunch of steps to get to messaging is a lot of friction."

*** Apple Is Working On A Fix For Rootpipe, But Here's Why Most Of Us Aren't At Risk Anyway ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-working-fix-rootpipe-heres-why-most-us-arent-risk-anyway>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Rootpipe is a legitimate security vulnerability and Apple is already working to fix it. That said, we have yet to see an exploit in the wild or any other indication that average users have any reason to worry. While the media may have worked themselves into a frenzy over Rootpipe — and WireLurker — it's important to remember the current hype once again seems highly disproportionate to the actual danger posed to Mac users at this time.

*** CBS Radio News Update Adds CarPlay Support With Streaming News, Local Weather, And Bug Fixes ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/06/cbs-radio-news-carplay/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** 'Swype' Keyboard For iOS Named Apple's App Of The Week, Available For Free ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/06/swype-keyboard-available-for-free/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** Hands-on With The New, Free-to-use Office For iPhone Apps ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/hands-on-with-the-new-free-to-use-office-for-iphone-apps/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Though true Office power users will still be well-served by an Office 365 subscription, most of the best stuff is free (if you attempt to use a "premium" feature without a subscription, a pop-up will prompt you to buy one). You get cloud syncing and collaborative editing and all the basic stuff that you'll need to throw together documents and slideshows and spreadsheets that are more than competitive with Google's iOS productivity apps.

*** How To Return An Apple Pay Purchase In-store ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-return-apple-pay-purchase-store>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Expectations For WatchKit ***
<http://david-smith.org/blog/2014/11/06/expectations-for-watchkit/>
David Smith

> It will only be later next year that full apps will be possible. It is not a stretch to think that later next year is code for WWDC next June. Likely along with WatchOS (or whatever they call it) version 2.0. There is a delightful symmetry with the history of iPhone OS, where we didn’t get a full SDK until 2.0 (though I’m sure people will similarly jailbreak to get a head-start).

*** Not The Upgrade We Were Hoping For: The 2014 Mac Mini Reviewed ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/not-the-upgrade-we-were-hoping-for-the-2014-mac-mini-reviewed/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Intel's confusing matrix of CPU options may be partially to blame here, but either way the 2014 Mini can be much slower than the 2012 model was. The Mac Mini may have gotten an update, but unfortunately that isn't the same thing as getting an upgrade.

*** Apple’s Statement On The WireLurker Malware ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/11/06/apples-statement-on-the-wirelurker-malware/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

*** FAQ On How To Detect And Remove WireLurker From OS X And iOS ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/11/06/faq-on-how-to-detect-and-remove-wirelurker-from-os-x-and-ios/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Following the recent Wirelurker malware that was discovered yesterday, Apple has taken some rapid steps to fix it, including releasing an XProtect update to detect programs that are run on OS X which may contain the malware, and revoking developer certificates for compromised applications that are being used as vectors to spread the malware. In addition to these steps, if you suspect your Mac or iOS system might have been infected, then there are some steps you can take to detect and remove it from your system.

*** Office Goes Free On Phones And Tablets: What You Get, And What You Don't ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2844476/office-goes-free-on-phones-and-tablets-what-you-get-and-what-you-dont.html?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Jared Newman, Macworld

> Here's the high-level overview: Phone and tablet users will be able to view, create and edit documents for free, and they'll be able to sync those documents with Dropbox or OneDrive cloud storage. Certain advanced editing features, such as the ability to accept or reject Track Changes in Word, will require an Office 365 subscription. And for commercial use rights, you'll need Office 365 for Business.

*** iMovie For iOS Updated With Support For iCloud Photo Library ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/06/imovie-gains-icloud-photo-library-support/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** Mac Mini (Late 2014) Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/mac-mini-late-2014-review>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** CBS News Channel Launches On Apple TV With New Streaming CBSN Network ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/06/cbs-news-channel-launches-on-apple-tv-with-new-streaming-cbsn-network>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

*** Review: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Turns Your Home Videos Into Something Worth Watching ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2842981/review-adobe-premiere-elements-13-turns-your-home-videos-into-something-worth-watching.html#tk.rss_all>
J.R. Bookwalter, Macworld

> While it may not be the most feature-rich upgrade in Premiere Elements history, version 13 delivers a one-two punch for videomakers looking for ever-faster ways to spice up home movies with Favorite Moments and Video Story—and it’s refreshing to see Adobe seeding the software with innovative new features while the grass continues to grow around iMovie’s feet.

*** Revival By Stephen King Review – Stephen King Returns To The Horror Genre ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/07/revival-by-stephen-king-review-horrific-glimpse-abyss>
Alison Flood, The Guardian

> King has always been good at the buildup to horror: the reveal of the monster behind the curtains doesn’t always match the promise. In <i>Revival</i>, however, it’s more of a curtain twitch, and all the more memorable for it.

*** The War Of The Words ***
<http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/12/amazon-hachette-ebook-publishing?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Keith Gessen, Vanity Fair