[MyAppleMenu] Nov 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 4 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Web Apps ***
<http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2014/11/04/web_apps/>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

> Native apps mainly benefit Apple and Google, not their users. It’s not in anyone’s interest to be locked into a specific platform, except for the platform’s owner.

*** Review: Apogee Jam 96K Guitar Input For iPhone, iPad And Mac ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/142672/review-apogee-jam-96k-guitar-input-iphone-ipad-mac/>
Kirk Hiner, TechnologyTell

> It’s sturdy, it’s compact, and it sounds great, and I recommend it to anyone with a guitar and some music to record.

*** How To Get An Education Discount From Apple: Students Can Save Money On Macs & iPads ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/apple/how-get-education-discount-apple-student-teacher-lecturer-3466634/>
Lou Hattersley, Macworld UK

> Anybody who works in an education environment qualifies for a discount on Apple computers. It’s not just limited to students, teachers or lecturers, but also administration and other staff members. Essentially it’s anybody who works for a school, college or university.

*** Apple To Issue Bonds In Euros ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-to-issue-bonds-in-euros-1415089975>
Ben Edwards, Wall Street Journal

*** Apple, Google Set Disney Video Deal ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-google-set-disney-video-deal-1415077262>
Ben Fritz, Wall Street Journal

> In an unprecedented agreement to share rights to digital content, the two tech giants will allow consumers who buy a Disney movie from either of their online stores to watch it on smartphones, tablets and other digital devices that run their rival’s operating system.

Not only does this put pressure on Ultraviolet, this will also put pressure on Microsoft, as well as any mobile phone makers who are thinking of leaving Android.

*** Review: 1Password 5 For Mac Offers State-of-the-art Protection For Your Passwords And More ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2839274/review-1password-5-for-mac-offers-state-of-the-art-protection-for-your-passwords-and-more.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

*** Confirmed: Apple Opening Seattle Software Office ***
<http://blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudley/2014/11/03/confirmed-apple-opening-seattle-software-office/>
Brier Dudley, Seattle Times

> An Apple spokesman confirmed that the company has indeed opened an engineering office in Seattle, but declined to provide further details. It is the company’s first engineering office in the Northwest and is likely to continue growing.
> The nucleus of the Apple office is a group of employees who had worked at Union Bay Networks, a cloud computing startup near Google’s Seattle campus in Fremont. Union Bay’s information email no longer works, and at least five of its employees have changed their LinkedIn profiles to say they began working at Apple in September.

*** How To Instantly Share Files Between Macs With AirDrop ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-instantly-share-files-between-macs-airdrop?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** How To Make TV Sports Announcers Shut Up ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/11/how-to-make-tv-sports-announcers-shut-up/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> Now that you’ve removed the announcers, you can opt to replace them with announcers of your own choice. The problem here is that in many cases, local radio broadcasts are ahead of what you’re seeing on your TV, so if you flip on a radio to watch the game, the announcers may be describing events that haven’t yet happened on screen.

*** Drummer Is A Beautiful, Minimal Drum Machine For iPhone ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/3/7139305/drummer-is-a-beautiful-minimal-drum-machine-for-iphone-keezy>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

> D’Silva, an avid musician and artist since childhood, built the app he always wanted to use to capture beats beating in the back of his head. That’s what Drummer is for, he says — to capture a sound in your brain the way you might capture a photo of what you’re seeing.

*** How To Disable Smart Quotes In OS X ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/11/03/how-to-disable-smart-quotes-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

*** RunKeeper Update Makes Tracking Your Exercise Indoors Easy With The Stopwatch Mode ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/11/runkeeper-update-makes-tracking-your-exercise-indoors-easy-with-the-stopwatch-mode>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Yes, The 5K Retina iMac’s Screen Runs At 60Hz At 5K Resolution ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/yes-the-5k-retina-imacs-screen-runs-at-60hz-at-5k-resolution/>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

> Regarding the "how is this possible" question—it’s possible because Apple isn’t constrained by a DisplayPort 1.2-compliant interface and cable inside the guts of its own computer. As iFixit showed when it took a Retina iMac apart, there’s a modified Parade Technologies TCON (timing controller) feeding data over what looks like a modified Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) connector with 60 pins instead of 40.

*** KBW: Apple Pay Issuer Contract Reveals Pricing And Network Authority ***
<http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/14/11/4975141/kbw-apple-pay-issuer-contract-reveals-pricing-and-networ>
Jayson Derrick, Benzinga

> In a note published on Friday, Sakharni stated that Apple Pay terms and conditions were “in-line” with expectations, but several notable points need to be highlighted.

*** Burger King's New App Will Let You Buy A Whopper With PayPal, Not Apple Pay ***
<http://www.imore.com/burger-king-picks-paypal-its-iphone-mobile-payment-system?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

*** How To AirDrop Files From Your Mac To Your iPhone Or iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-airdrop-files-your-mac-your-iphone-or-ipad?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> AirDrop is a file transfer protocol that lets you quickly and easily send files, small and large, between compatible iPhones, iPads, and Macs. Have photos on your Mac that you'd like on your iPhone or iPad? Just AirDrop them, no cables required!

*** Several New Banks Get Apple Pay Support Including USAA, US Bank, Barclaycard, PNC, More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/03/apple-pay-support-usaa-cards/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** ‘Prune’ The Cookbook: Where’s The appeal? ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/prune-the-cookbook-game-changer-or-recipe-for-frustration/2014/11/03/ca3838f2-5fc3-11e4-8b9e-2ccdac31a031_story.html?wprss=rss_food>
Bonnie S. Benwick, Washington Post

> When a cookbook raises as many questions as it answers, will it generate more buzzkill than buzz? With the Nov. 4 publication of Gabrielle Hamilton’s “Prune,” we’ll find out soon enough.

*** ‘The Burning Room’ By Michael Connelly ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/11/04/book-review-the-burning-room-michael-connelly/HX9rxl19Mq9jD4bDBXYgRL/story.html>
Daneet Steffens, The Boston Globe

> A fine balancing act between thought and action on Bosch’s part, “The Burning Room” offers a nuanced, nicely-honed performance from Connelly as well.

*** He’s Glad You Asked ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/04/science/randall-munroe-the-creator-of-xkcd-explains-complexity-through-absurdity.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Kenneth Chang, New York Times

> “They say there are no stupid questions,” Mr. Munroe, now 30, writes. “That’s obviously wrong; I think my question about hard and soft things, for example, is pretty stupid.
> “But it turns out that trying to thoroughly answer a stupid question can take you to some pretty interesting places.”

*** Why So Many People Loved Tom Magliozzi’s Storytelling ***
<http://www.poynter.org/how-tos/newsgathering-storytelling/visual-voice/279107/why-so-many-people-loved-tom-magliozzis-storytelling/>
Roy Peter Clark, Poynter