[MyAppleMenu] Nov 5, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 5 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** How To Make The Best Use Of Mail Drop ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2843396/how-to-make-the-best-use-of-mail-drop.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Retina 5K iMac Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/retina-5k-imac-review>
Rene Ritchie and Peter Cohen, iMore

> Under the hood, the Retina 5K iMac has the right balance of power and performance for almost anything you can throw at it. Whether it's cutting video in 4K, editing photos of unusual size, working in on documents or the web, or simply playing video games, the Retina 5K iMac is in a league of its own right now.

*** What "Other Storage" Is, Why It's Taking Up Your iPhone Space, And How To Fix It! ***
<http://www.imore.com/what-other-storage-category-iphone-and-ipad-and-how-fix-it>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> "Other storage" and all the space it takes up on your iPhone and iPad is a source of frustration for many people. What is "other storage"? Why does it keep building up? What can be done to clean it out? These are frequent questions, especially for anyone running low on storage. There are a few different explanations, but the most important thing is this — there is a way to fix it!

*** Security Scorecard Finds Messaging Apps Need More Development ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/11/scorecard-finds-messaging-apps-need-more-development/>
Robert Lemos, Ars Technica

> The results of the analysis, published as a scorecard on Tuesday, found that popular messaging apps—such as Facebook Chat, Apple’s FaceTime and iMessage, Microsoft’s Skype, and Yahoo Messenger—failed to meet all seven criteria, such as whether the application implements perfect forward secrecy and whether the source code had been audited for security.

*** iOS 8, Accessibility, And Third-Party Keyboards ***
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-8-accessibility-and-third-party-keyboards/>
Steven Aquino, MacStories

> While I’ve found Fleksy and Keedogo to be fine in terms of accessibility, even in the midst of testing them, I’ve found myself going back to Apple’s stock keyboard. In the end, that I don’t use any third-party keyboard as a <i>replacement</i> for the default one on my iOS devices is no fault of either developer — it’s Apple’s.

*** Adobe Updates Voice For iPad With New Features And Themes ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/11/04/adobe-updates-voice-for-ipad-with-new-features-and-themes/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** How To Protect OS X From The “Rootpipe” Vulnerability ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/11/04/how-to-protect-os-x-from-the-rootpipe-vulnerability/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> In addition to running as a standard user, consider enabling FileVault on your Mac. This is another recommendation by Kvarnhammar for preventing the “rootpipe” vulnerability from being used. In general, it is also a good idea, especially for portable systems, to have the entire contents of the drive encrypted. This will prevent a system from being rebooted in alternative modes to bypass the operating system’s security features and access data on the drive.

*** My Favorite iOS 8 Features, Big And Small ***
<http://danfrakes.com/2014/11/03/my-favorite-ios-8-features-big-and-small/>
Dan Frakes

> Yes, I know that Yosemite is the newer OS, but I feel like I’m just hitting my stride with iOS 8. After a month or so with Apple’s latest mobile OS, I’ve made it past proficiency and I’m embracing the little things—and I’m figuring out which of the hyped features I’m actually using day to day.
> Here are some of my favorite iOS 8 features, in no particular order, with an emphasis on things that haven’t been exhaustively covered elsewhere. I hope you discover something new and useful.

*** Microsoft Adding Dropbox Integration Including Syncing And Sharing To Office For iOS ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/04/microsoft-office-dropbox-integration/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Microsoft says the integration with Dropbox will be available through its Office apps for iOS and Android “in the next few weeks” followed by availability through the Web beginning in 2015.

*** Owners Of 128 GB iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Models Reporting Crashing And Boot Loop Issues ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/04/iphone-6-128-crashing-boot-loops/>
Kelly Hodgkins, MacRumors

*** Reading A Poem: 20 Strategies ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/11/how-to-read-poetry-a-step-by-step-guide/380657/?single_page=true>