[MyAppleMenu] May 30, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 30 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Daily App: Two Dots Will Have You Thinking About Connecting Dots All Day Long ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/30/daily-app-two-dots-will-have-you-thinking-about-connecting-dots/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> Two Dots takes the basic gameplay of the original Dots game (connect as many vertical or horizontal dots of the same color in a grid as you can) and builds upon it with a new level-based architecture that makes the game more challenging as you progress.

*** Anti-Google Search Engine Alternative DuckDuckGo Updates Official iOS App ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/05/anti-google-search-engine-alternative-duckduckgo-updates-official-ios-app>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: Special Tagging Issue ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2212388/ask-the-itunes-guy-special-tagging-issue.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> In this week’s column, I address a number of questions about tags: fixing duplicate artists, adding Year tags, and correcting Genre tags.

*** Leafnote: A Text Editor That's Powerful In Its Simplicity ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/29/leafnote-a-text-editor-thats-powerful-in-its-simplicity/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** Marco Polo: A New Way To Find Your iPhone ***
<http://www.todaysiphone.com/2014/05/marco-polo-new-way-find-iphone-review/>
Mallorie Deaton, Today's iPhone

> When running the app, it stays on in the background and listens for the phrase “Marco.” It then responds by saying, “Polo.” This is a pretty simple, but effective solution.

*** Apple Paying Less Than $500 Million For Beats Music Streaming Service ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-paying-just-under-500-million-for-beats-music-streaming-service-1401403287>
Hannah Karp, Ryan Dezember and Alistair Barr, Wall Street Journal

> Apple Inc. is paying slightly less than $500 million for the Beats Music streaming service, and more than $2.5 billion for Beats Electronics in its $3 billion deal, according to people familiar with the matter.
> The people familiar with the matter cautioned that the breakdown of the purchase price was largely an accounting issue, because the two Beats units are backed by different investors.

*** Best Cloud Storage Apps For iPhone And iPad: Dropbox, Copy, Box, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-cloud-storage-apps-iphone-ipad-dropbox-copy-box-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> Looking for the best iPhone apps and best iPad apps to help you store and access your files from anywhere? Cloud storage services not only keep us in sync and let us access our files wherever we are, whenever we need them, but they can be a great way to backup, share, and collaborate as well. They can even help free up precious local storage on our iPhones and iPads. There are a lot of great cloud storage options to choose from, and almost all of them have apps on the App Store. More importantly, which cloud storage apps are the absolute best?

*** Xamarin 3 Review: Making Cross-platform Mobile Development Painless ***
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/xamarin-3-review-making-cross-platform-mobile-development-painless/>
Peter Bright, Ars Technica

> Xamarin is striving to produce the best—and perhaps only—framework that can target the major mobile platforms while still not giving up the quality and performance expected of native apps.

*** Six Tips For Efficient Use Of Your Mac ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/05/29/six-tips-for-efficient-use-of-your-mac/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> There are many ways to optimize the way you use your Mac, but here are six tips that may help you reduce frustrating and seemingly cumbersome approaches to dealing with window clutter, or locating files and folders that are buried in your hard drive.

*** Review: Maskify For iOS Is A Nice Photo App For Adding Frames And Text ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/29/review-maskify-for-ios-is-a-nice-photo-app-for-adding-frames-an/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Omnifocus 2 For Mac Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/omnifocus-2-mac-review>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Apple Issues First Conflict Minerals Report, Says Majority Of Suppliers Are In The Clear ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/29/5762566/apple-issues-first-conflict-minerals-report-says-majority-of-suppliers-are-good>
Josh Lowensohn, The Verge

> Apple today issued its first ever conflict minerals report, a full breakdown of where it gets key materials that end up in its phones, tablets, and computers, but that can be mined in politically unstable countries. In it, the company says 21 of the 205 smelters it used in 2013 got those minerals from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) or adjoining countries, and that four of those had not been certified as conflict-free. Apple added that it commissioned its own audits of those four companies and "found no reasonable basis" that they were financing armed groups.

*** Morning’s Glory ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/magazine/mornings-glory.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Sam Sifton, New York Times