[MyAppleMenu] May 31, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 31 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Luca Maestri Takes Over As Apple CFO As Peter Oppenheimer Steps Down ***
<http://www.imore.com/luca-maestri-takes-over-apple-cfo-peter-steps-down>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Peter Oppenheimer formally stepped down as Apple's Chief Financial Officer this week, with vice president of finance and corporate controller Luca Maestri succeeding him in that position. The transition was originally announced in March of this year. Oppenheimer was at Apple for eighteen years, having joined the company in 1996, and was CEO for the last eight years. Maestri took over the CFO position on May 29, according to Apple's SEC filing.

*** How To Listen To Podcasts On The Road ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2310806/how-to-listen-to-podcasts-on-the-road.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Miller, Macworld

> Today, I’m going to focus on just one of those: Apple’s own Podcasts app. It’s not perfect by any means, but it does have some advantages. For one thing, it ties into Apple’s iTunes ecosystem.

*** New York Times Crossword App Gets Its Appeal Across (And Down) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2341705/new-york-times-crossword-app-gets-its-appeal-across-and-down.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> The latest update to the gold standard of crossword puzzles is not without glitches, but it does provide an updated interface design, new customization options, and, best of all, sync between devices.

*** The Unlikely Marriage Of Apple And Beats ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/wolff/2014/05/31/the-odd-marriage-of-apple-and-beats/9774915/>
Michael Wolff, USA Today

> Beats has built its business by incurring serious losses. That's why other streaming services, most notably Spotify, eschew Apple — they can't afford it.
> Of course, the math improves if Apple owns the steaming service. Apple might charge everyone else 30 percent on its App site, but cut a special deal for itself. Or, maintaining appearances, it might continue to charge its house service 30 percent, but underwrite its losses. That is a powerful, and peculiarly legal, advantage — at least in the U.S. On the other hand, it promises a monster anti-competitive battle in Europe, where such self-dealing isn't legal.

*** Apple Must Face E-Book Price-Fixing Trial Before Appeal ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-30/apple-must-face-e-book-price-fixing-trial-before-appeal.html>
Edvard Pettersson and Bob Van Voris, Bloomberg

> Apple Inc. lost a last-ditch effort to challenge a ruling that millions of e-book buyers could sue the company as a group, setting the stage for a trial where it faces claims by consumers for as much as $840 million in price-fixing damages.

*** How To Make Animated GIFs On iPhone Easily With GifMill ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/30/make-animated-gifs-iphone-gifmill/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

*** Apple's WWDC Banners Show iOS 8, Next OS X Are Coming ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/30/5756010/Apple-gets-ready-for-WWDC-2014>
Josh Lowensohn, The Verge

> One of those is a banner with a large 8 on it, the first indication of iOS 8, which is expected at the show.

*** One Year After The RSS Apocalypse ***
<http://inessential.com/2014/05/30/one_year_after_the_rss_apocalypse>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> This is all good news. An ecosystem is better than a single 800-pound gorilla.

*** The Saturday Poem: Addiction To An Old Mattress ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/31/saturday-poem-rosemary-tonks-addiction-to-an-old-mattress>
Rosemary Tonks, The Guardian

*** ‘Cubed: A Secret History Of The Workplace’ By Nikil Saval ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/cubed-a-secret-history-of-the-workplace-by-nikil-saval/2014/05/30/df8a7422-d959-11e3-bda1-9b46b2066796_story.html>
Jennifer Howard, Washington Post

> We don’t spend time in cubicles because we love them. How did we come up with such an unnatural arrangement?

*** Ageing Rebels, Bitter Victims ***
<http://www.economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21602980-twenty-five-years-after-bloodshed-beijing-new-details-keep-emerging-ageing-rebels>
The Economist

> Twenty-five years after the bloodshed in Beijing, new details keep emerging.

*** Why Do You Think You’re Right About Language? You’re Not. ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2014/05/30/arguing_over_language_everyone_has_an_idiolect_standard_english_prescriptivism.html>
Gretchen McCulloch, Slate

> But why is it that each of us thinks we alone embody the highest authority over how language is supposed to be used? Unless, that is, we've had that notion drummed painfully out of us by high school English teachers, in which case why do we think we are the lowest authority, except for all those other slobs?

*** Let's Reinvent The Bookshop ***
<http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/lifestyle/rosanna-de-lisle/bookshop-design?page=full>
Rosanna de Lisle, Intelligent Life

> Curious to explore this territory, we asked four leading architecture and design practices to create a shop. Specifically, in the age of Amazon and e-books, a bookshop to save bookshops.

*** Journey By Rail ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/books/review/tom-zoellners-train.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Joshua Hammer, New York Times

> Zoellner sets off on a series of railway adventures — across America, India, Spain, Russia, Britain, China and the Peruvian Andes — that provide him with ample opportunities to contemplate the railways’ influence on everything from pop culture to dietary habits to national identity.

*** Snooping Around ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/books/review/casebook-by-mona-simpson.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
John Williams, New York Times