[MyAppleMenu] May 29, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 29 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** RSS Client Reeder 2 For Mac Now Available On The Mac App Store ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/28/rss-client-reeder-2-for-mac-now-available-on-the-mac-app-store/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> The new version supports a number of RSS services that have proven popular since Google Reader ended (like Feedbin, Feedly, and Feed Wrangler), and it now serves as a standalone RSS client without syncing so you won’t have to depend on an RSS service to use the app in the future.

*** Pocket Read-Later App Introduces Premium Tier With Permanent Library And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/05/pocket-read-later-app-introduces-premium-tier-with-permanent-library-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> For a monthly or yearly fee, Pocket Premium offers several “premium” features, including permanent saving of bookmarked content, search refinements, and personalized tag suggestions.

*** How To Use Storage Space On iPhone To Backup Files From Mac: Use An App To Turn iOS Device Into A USB Flash Drive ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-use-storage-space-on-your-iphone-backup-files-from-your-mac-3522103/>
Lou Hattersley, Macworld UK

*** Extra! Extra! The Guardian Updates Official iOS App With New Design And Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/05/extra-extra-the-guardian-updates-official-ios-app-with-new-design-and-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** A New Irreverent Spirit At Apple ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/apples-new-master-of-irreverence-jimmy-iovine/?_php=true&_type=blogs&smid=tw-nytimesbits&_r=0>
Vindu Goel, New York Times

> Uh, did anyone tell Apple’s chief executive, Timothy D. Cook, that Mr. Iovine, a music mogul with an impressive track record, was going to be a little hard to control?

*** Apple's Eddy Cue Touts 'Best Product Pipeline' In 25 Years Coming This Year ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/29/5759262/apples-cue-weve-got-the-best-product-pipeline-in-25-years>
Josh Lowensohn, The Verge

> "Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple," Cue said at the Code Conference, which is taking place this week in California. Cue appeared on stage with Jimmy Iovine, who cofounded Beats and is joining Apple as part of its purchase of the music software and hardware company.

*** iOS App Store’s Top Charts No Longer Show Top 300 Apps, Now Only Top 150 Get Ranked ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/28/ios-app-stores-top-charts-no-longer-show-top-300-apps-now-only-top-150-get-ranked/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

*** The Third Era Of WWDC ***
<http://www.manton.org/2014/05/the_third_era.html>
Manton Reece

> Getting videos out the same day makes the conference more useful for both those without a ticket and actual attendees (and their team) too.

*** Bug Splitting ***
<http://rustyshelf.org/2014/05/28/bug-splitting/>
Rusty Rants

*** Xamarin 3 Launches With UI Design Tool For iOS Apps, Cross-Platform Interface API And More ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/28/xamarin-3-0-launches-with-ios-ui-designer-cross-platform-interface-library-and-more/>
Frederic Lardinois, TechCrunch

*** Apple Brings ESPN And 42 Local NPR Stations To iTunes Radio ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/28/apple-brings-espn-and-42-local-npr-stations-to-itunes-radio/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Beats Music Lowers Its Yearly Subscription Fee And Extends The Free Trial Period ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/05/beats-music-lowers-its-yearly-subscription-fee-and-extends-the-free-trial-period>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Tim Cook Explains Why Apple Is Buying Beats (Q&A) ***
<http://recode.net/2014/05/28/tim-cook-explains-why-apple-is-buying-beats-qa/>
Peter Kafka, Re/code

> "The point is that Jimmy and Dre have built something phenomenal. And they have phenomenal skills. And we can begin, the instant that this deal is approved, working on the future together. And I think that future is better than either company could create on their own."

*** Cook To Employees On Beats Buy: ‘I Hope You Are As Excited As I Am About This New Chapter In Our History’ ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/28/tim-cooks-memo-to-employees-on-beats-buy-i-hope-you-are-as-excited-as-i-am-about-this-new-chapter-in-our-history/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> "Beats Music was built with deep respect for both artists and fans. We think it’s the first subscription service to really get it right. Both Apple and Beats believe that a great music service requires a strong editorial and curation team, and we will continue to expand what we do in those areas. The addition of Beats will make our incredible iTunes lineup even better, extending the emotional connection our customers have with music."

*** Apple Confirms Its $3 Billion Deal For Beats Electronics ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/technology/apple-confirms-its-3-billion-deal-for-beats-electronics.html?_r=0>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> Apple and Beats executives on Wednesday said that the companies would work together to give consumers worldwide more options to listen to music. The Beats brand will remain separate from Apple’s, and Apple will offer both Beats’s streaming music service and premium headphones.
> Apple said that iTunes, which sells individual songs and albums and offers a streaming radio service, would continue to be offered alongside the Beats music service.

*** Running Through Chemo, And Life’s Other Challenges ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/05/28/running-through-chemo-and-lifes-other-challenges/>
Dan Klotz, Washington Post