[MyAppleMenu] May 22, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 22 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** 4 Myths About Apple Design, From An Ex-Apple Designer ***
<http://www.fastcodesign.com/3030923/4-myths-about-apple-design-from-an-ex-apple-designer>
Mark Wilson, Co.Design

> What's life really like designing for Apple? An alum shares what he learned during his seven years in Cupertino.

*** 10.9.3 Causing Headaches For Mac Pro Users ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/05/21/10-9-3-causing-headaches-for-mac-pro-users/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Some Mac Pro users have noticed that after updating their systems to OS X 10.9.3, their systems are showing significant graphical artifacts that can impact their work in video editing software packages, especially when exporting video files.

*** How To Adjust Your iPhone Camera's Settings ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2155341/how-to-adjust-your-iphone-cameras-settings.html#tk.rss_all>
Lauren Crabbe, Macworld

> Unlike a compact camera or a DSLR, your iPhone doesn’t let you adjust the most popular settings: aperture, lens length, shutter speed, and white balance. That said, several tools within the Camera app (and other third-party programs) can aid you in taking very attractive pictures.

*** Review: Djay 2.5 Adds Spotify Integration, Automix Radio ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/review-djay-2-5-adds-spotify-integration-automix-radio/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Algoriddim wants to tear down the barrier to entry for its popular DJ software with a simple, yet technologically complex solution: full Spotify integration.

*** The Online Apple Store’s Humble Beginnings ***
<http://kensegall.com/2014/05/the-online-apple-stores-humble-beginnings/>
Ken Segall's Observatory

> Ten minutes later, a woman showed up. She was barely inside the door when Steve confronted her: “We can configure Mac memory in the Apple Store, right?” In a matter-of-fact way, she said “No, Steve, we’ll be able to do that soon, but we can’t do it at launch.” She proceeded to give him a few technical reasons why.
> Steve rejected her rationale and said that this was simply unacceptable. Right there in front of a roomful of people, he directed her to fix this immediately and sent her on her way.

*** Tools Of The Trade: Why I Prefer Nisus Writer ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2157004/tools-of-the-trade-why-i-prefer-nisus-writer.html>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> Word processing isn’t the most amazing thing a Mac can do. But back in 1991, it was a word processor called Nisus that convinced me to buy my first Mac, because there was nothing like it for PCs. Nisus was my primary application for years, and now—after more than a decade in which it was all but useless to me—this app (now called Nisus Writer Pro) is back on my A-list. Here’s why I’ve re-adopted it, and why I think more people should consider it.

*** Apple’s iMessage Issue Goes From Bad To Worse With Server Glitch ***
<http://recode.net/2014/05/22/apples-imessage-issue-goes-from-bad-to-worse-with-server-glitch/>
Ina Fried, Re/code

> “We recently fixed a server-side iMessage bug which was causing an issue for some users, and we have an additional bug fix in a future software update,” Apple told Re/code in a statement. “For users still experiencing an issue, please contact AppleCare.”

*** Notifyr Lets You Receive iOS Notifications On Your Mac ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/notifyr-lets-you-receive-ios-notifications-on-your-mac/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Notifyr uses the Bluetooth LE technology available in recent Macs and iOS devices to let the iOS app communicate in the background with a OS X preference pane without consuming too much battery life. After an initial pairing process, Notifyr will monitor all the notifications you receive on your iOS device and send them to the Mac app, which will display a native OS X notification using the icon of the original sender app.

*** Apple Releases Safari 7.0.4 & 6.1.4 For OS X With Security Improvements ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/21/apple-releases-safari-7-0-4-for-os-x-with-security-improvements/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Everything Is Broken ***
<https://medium.com/message/81e5f33a24e1>
Quinn Norton, Medium

> It’s hard to explain to regular people how much technology barely works, how much the infrastructure of our lives is held together by the IT equivalent of baling wire.
> Computers, and computing, are broken.

*** Inside The 11-Story Building That's Calling Itself The People's Republic Of Donetsk ***
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117846/donetsks-people-republic-one-building-endless-bureaucracy>
Julia Ioffe, New Republic