[MyAppleMenu] May 13, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 13 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Beats Music For iPad Review: Putting Music Discovery Front And Center ***
<http://www.imore.com/beats-music-ipad-review>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> Beats does an excellent job at curation and music discovery. You'll never run out of new things to listen to and the iPad app just adds even more value to the service.

*** Moju, A Self-styled Instagram On Steroids, Showcases Photos With An Animated Twist ***
<http://thenextweb.com/creativity/2014/05/13/moju-self-styled-instagram-steroids-showcases-photos-animated-twist/>
Jackie Dove, The Next Web

> With Moju, an iPhone app released today by Moju Labs, there’s a brand new content type: an animated still image –hologram-style – comprised of up to 24 individual shots that can be viewed in any angle or order by twisting the iPhone in your hand back and forth.

*** iPad For The Windows Guy ***
<http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/ipad-windows-guy>
Paul Thurrott, Supersite For Windows

> The iPad, ostensibly a toy, is now quite a bit more interesting than it was without Microsoft.

*** Twitter Launches Mute Feature, Updates iPad App ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/twitter-launches-mute-feature-updates-ipad-app/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Teleprompt+ 3 For iPhone And iPad Takes Professional Prompting To The Next Level ***
<http://www.imore.com/teleprompt-3-iphone-and-ipad-takes-professional-prompting-next-level>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** Apple Tries To Lift Online Sales By Cutting Refund Times In Half ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/12/us-apple-returns-idUSBREA4B07P20140512>
Christina Farr, Reuters

> Apple Inc has cut in half the time it takes to give refunds to online store customers who want to return their iPhones and other gadgets, a small but crucial step to try to get more people to buy direct from its website.
> Apple is processing refunds at a faster rate because the company now uses an expedited service, FedEx 2Day, to let customers ship returned items with prepaid labels to its warehouse in three days.

*** Square Finally Gives Up On Square Wallet And Bets On New Order-Ahead App ***
<http://recode.net/2014/05/12/square-finally-gives-up-on-square-wallet-and-bets-on-new-order-ahead-app/>
Jason Del Rey, Re/code

> The grand Square Wallet experiment is over. As of today, Square has pulled the app from the Apple and Google app stores. At the same time, it is introducing Square Order, an app that lets shoppers place pick-up orders from, and pay at, coffee shops, cafes and other Square merchants right from their smartphone.

*** The World As We Know It ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2014/05/19/140519crbo_books_wood>
James Wood, New Yorker

> While “In the Light of What We Know” is full of knowledge, it is never merely knowing. It wears its knowledge heavily, as a burden, a crisis, an injury. This is because Rahman is interested in the possession of knowledge, and in the politics of that possession.

*** The Waitress ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2014/05/19/140519fi_fiction_coover>
Robert Coover, New Yorker

*** Lost Booksellers Of New York ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/opinion/sunday/lost-booksellers-of-new-york.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Larry McMurtry, New York Times

> I was only in this Elysium for two days in 1965, but I was drawn back many, many times since and still go back, though now I feel as if I am visiting a city of ghosts.

*** The Roaast In The Fridge ***
<https://medium.com/editors-picks/91cb6a257e4e>
Erika Hall, Medium

> That moment has stayed with me my whole life—that cool, controlled response to a threat, the absolute refusal to play the victim. In both my grandmother’s stand against city hall and my mother’s calm dispatch of a home invader, I witnessed the assertion of one’s basic right to live life without being fucked with. And I saw the power of that assertion.
> Neither my grandmother nor my mother would have ever described themselves as feminists. Far from it.
> But I sure do.

*** The Mystery Of Go, The Ancient Game That Computers Still Can’t Win ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/05/the-world-of-computer-go/>
Alan Levinovitz, Wired