[MyAppleMenu] May 14, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 14 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** From Altair To iPad: 35 Years Of Personal Computer Market Share ***
<http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/08/from-altair-to-ipad-35-years-of-personal-computer-market-share/>
Jeremy Reimer, Ars Technica

> Data shows that smartphones and tablets have been adopted far faster than PCs.

*** Review: Apple's iWork For iCloud Is Elegant But Limited ***
<http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2014/051414-review-apple39s-iwork-for-icloud-281582.html>
Woody Leonhard, InfoWorld

> Apple is a newcomer to the online office game, and it shows. The three iWork for iCloud apps feel like they were designed from the ground up to unify the concepts behind word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations. Their interfaces are remarkably similar, minimalist, and easy to follow. The design is at once elegant and accessible.
> But Apple's file interface stinks. Of the three major browser-based office suites, Apple's is the worst for handling files. The only simple way to get a file into iWork for iCloud is to drag and drop it into a specific app's Web page. You can't sync a folder on a Mac or PC with iWork for iCloud, as you can Office Online and Google Drive. And if there's a way to set up folders from inside iWork for iCloud, I couldn't find it.

*** Apple's 'Convoluted And Unclear' iCloud Agreements Break Norwegian Law, Says Watchdog ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/apples-convoluted-and-unclear-icloud-agreements-break-norwegian-law-says-watchdog-7000029441/>
Stig Øyvann, ZDNet

> The Norwegian Consumer Council has filed a complaint over the terms and conditions of Apple's iCloud service, on the grounds they're in violation of several articles of Norwegian law governing marketing in the country.

*** Apple, Google Shaped By Silicon Valley Judge Koh’s Gavel ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-05-14/apple-to-google-reshaped-by-silicon-valley-judge-koh-s-gavel>
Joel Rosenblatt, Bloomberg Businessweek

> Lucy H. Koh’s fingerprints are on your Gmail account, your smartphone, and, if you’re a Silicon Valley engineer, possibly your prospects for changing jobs.

*** Apple Remains Mum As Complaints Mount Over 2011 MacBook Pro GPU Failures ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/13/apple-remains-mum-as-complaints-mount-over-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-failures>
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

> With an increasing number of early-2011 MacBook Pros suffering from what appears to be similar issues relating to built-in discrete AMD video cards, owners are now calling for a replacement program.

*** Apple Sued Over Patents More Than Any Other Company Last Year ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/13/apple-sued-over-patents-more-than-any-other-company-last-year/?ncid=rss_truncated>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

*** Apple’s iOS Human Interface Guidelines Now On The iBooks Store ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/apples-ios-human-interface-guidelines-now-on-the-ibooks-store/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Google Search For iOS 4.0 Adds New Voice Search Options, More Relevant Results, And More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/13/google-search-for-ios-4-0-adds-new-voice-search-options-more-relevant-results-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Best Expense Tracking Apps For iPhone: Concur, Expensify, Mileage Log+, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-expense-tracking-and-reporting-apps-iphone-concur-expensify-mileage-log-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** iMessage Purgatory ***
<http://adampash.com/imessage-purgatory/>
Adam Pash

> Apple has completely hijacked my text messaging and my phone number portability (portability between devices, not networks). No one can fix this but Apple because it’s a problem at the device level, which means people in my position have no recourse but to wait for Apple to figure out what the problem is.

*** Steak That Sizzles On The Stovetop ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/dining/steak-that-sizzles-on-the-stovetop.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Julia Moskin, New York Times

> It turns out that you truly don’t need a grill to cook a great steak: savory, salty, encased in a barklike crust. You don’t need to marinate or dry-rub. You don’t have to know your way around a beef-cut chart — with its bewildering eyes, rounds, chucks and clods — to buy a good one. And at dinner time, laying a few slices of steak next to the whole grains, the roasted vegetables and the leafy greens that (usually) fill most of our plates is an excellent strategy.

*** The Mathematics Of Murder: Should A Robot Sacrifice Your Life To Save Two? ***
<http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/zero-moment/mathematics-murder-should-robot-sacrifice-your-life-save-two>
Erik Sofge, Popular Science

> A front tire blows, and your autonomous SUV swerves. But rather than veering left, into the opposing lane of traffic, the robotic vehicle steers right. Brakes engage, the system tries to correct itself, but there’s too much momentum. Like a cornball stunt in a bad action movie, you are over the cliff, in free fall.
> Your robot, the one you paid good money for, has chosen to kill you. Better that, its collision-response algorithms decided, than a high-speed, head-on collision with a smaller, non-robotic compact. There were two people in that car, to your one. The math couldn’t be simpler.

*** Secrets Of The Stacks ***
<https://medium.com/book-excerpts/4ca8405f1e11>
Phyllis Rose, Medium