[MyAppleMenu] May 11, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 11 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, And Lately, Coding ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/us/reading-writing-arithmetic-and-lately-coding.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Matt Richtel, New York Times

> It is a stark change for computer science, which for decades was treated like a stepchild, equated with trade classes like wood shop. But smartphones and apps are ubiquitous now, and engineering careers are hot. To many parents — particularly ones here in the heart of the technology corridor — coding looks less like an extracurricular activity and more like a basic life skill, one that might someday lead to a great job or even instant riches.

*** What Happened At NewsGator ***
<http://inessential.com/2014/05/10/what_happened_at_newsgator>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> And that’s the tech industry for ya. Everything I brought to NewsGator is now somewhere else. Everything I created while I was there is now somewhere else. Nothing of me remains there — and all I have from the company is a red stapler they gave me when I reached five years of service. (And some money.)

*** Apple MacBook Air 13-Inch (2014) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457827,00.asp>
Brian Westover, PC Magazine

> This year's Apple MacBook Air benefits from an updated Intel processor, but sticks to a tried and true design that doesn't need to change. The result is improved performance while retaining all of the thin-and-light portability that has made the MacBook Air so popular.

*** Review: TodoMovies 3 – Manage And Discover New Movies In A Great Free App ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/10/review-todomovies-3-manage-and-discover-new-movies-in-a-great-free-app/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Whitney Marks, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Paradox Of Growing Old ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27342341>
Mary Beard, BBC

> I can't help thinking here that some of the modern medical profession have made much the same mistake as the goddess Dawn. Why on earth, when so many doctors themselves wish for a quick death from a massive heart attack, do they expend such efforts (and money) in preventing their patients from having exactly that, consigning us to the expensive and nightmare world of the very old and the very decrepit?

*** How To Trick The Guilty And Gullible Into Revealing Themselves ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702303647204579546293797700508-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwMDExNDAyWj?tesla=y>
Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, Wall Street Journal

> It starts with a basic understanding of game theory and incentives.

*** ‘Suddenly, Love’ By Aharon Appelfeld ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2014/05/09/book-review-suddenly-love-aharon-appelfeld/Q9VDoHRTgCQxm12p2WFMuJ/story.html>
Julia M. Klein, The Boston Globe