[MyAppleMenu] May 10, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 10 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Easily Backup (And Restore) Using Backblaze Or CrashPlan ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-easily-backup-and-restore-using-backblaze-or-crashplan>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Apple Kicks Off Its Big In-store iPhone Upgrade Event ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/09/apple-kicks-off-its-big-in-store-iphone-upgrade-event/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple’s Pursuit Of Beats May Foretell A Shift ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/technology/beats-talks-may-foretell-apple-shift.html?hpw&rref=business&_r=0>
Ben Sisario, New York Times

> Has streaming music’s moment in the mainstream finally come? Or is it here already, and has Apple — once the great innovator of music technology — finally caught on?

*** Epson Invents A Clever Label Printer That Works With iOS ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/09/epson-invents-a-clever-label-printer-that-works-with-ios/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> With an iOS device and the printer running on battery and Bluetooth you can be a printing demon around the house or office with no wires.

*** How To Remove A Windows Boot Camp Partition From A Mac ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/09/remove-windows-boot-camp-partition-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

*** Facebook Poke Is Dead ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/9/5700732/facebook-poke-is-dead-and-so-is-facebook-camera>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

> To Facebook, Poke was always "more of a joke" than anything else — so why did the company leave it in the App Store for more than a year after its troubled debut? We may never know, but today, Facebook finally put an end to Poke.

*** Apple-partner Vimeo Revamps Its iOS App With New Design, Faster Video Loading ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/09/apple-partner-vimeo-revamps-its-ios-app-with-new-design-faster-video-loading/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Man Who Hired Apple’s Design Genius Jony Ive Is Also The Guy Who Designed Beats Products ***
<http://www.businessinsider.sg/robert-brunner-hired-jony-ive-2014-5/#.U21cUl671lI>
Lisa Eadicicco, Business Insider

*** Book Review: 'Supreme City' By Donald L. Miller ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304677904579533703742420402>
David Freeland, Wall Street Journal

> Jazz Age Manhattan was an electric vessel into which the hopes and desires of a nation were distilled.

*** A Final Toast For Metro-North’s Bar Car ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/nyregion/at-the-end-of-the-line-a-final-toast-to-the-bar-car.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Mat Flegenheimer, New York Times

> The last of Metro-North’s old car fleet, introduced in the 1970s, has aged out of the system; the 7:34 p.m. train on Friday from Grand Central Terminal to New Haven was the bar car’s final ride before its retirement at the hands of a new, barless model.

Also: <a href="http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/05/09/bar_car_ends_service_metro_north_discontinues_its_mad_men_era_rolling_saloon.html">A Requiem for the Commuter Train Bar Car</a> (Troy Patterson, Slate)

*** ‘How Paris Became Paris’ By Joan DeJean And ‘Paris At End Of The World’ John Baxter ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/review-how-paris-became-paris-by-joan-dejean-and-paris-at-end-of-the-world-john-baxter/2014/05/09/ba2db352-c972-11e3-95f7-7ecdde72d2ea_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Stephane Kirkland, Washington Post