[MyAppleMenu] May 9, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 9 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** PSA: This Hidden Feature In OS X Makes It Easy To Sign Digital Documents  ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/05/08/sign_a_pdf_with_mac_os_x_s_preview_application.html>
Chris Kirk, Slate

> Buried deeply in OS X’s otherwise boring Preview application (the default app for viewing PDFs) is one of the most thoughtful features on the whole system: a function that allows users to quickly scan signatures via the Mac’s camera and drop them into any PDF.

I love Slate's Terms of Employment. :-)

*** 8Tracks Releases Major iOS Overhaul As It Prepares To Take On Music Streaming’s Biggest Players ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/05/08/8tracks-releases-major-ios-overhaul-prepares-take-musics-big-players/>
Owen Williams, The Next Web

> The update focuses on helping get users to the music they feel like listening to right now, by offering them a range of choices that add up to the ‘path of least resistance’ to finding music they like.

*** Apple Just Hired One Of Nokia's PureView Camera Experts ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/09/apple-just-hired-nokias-pureview-camera-expert/>
Steve Dent, Engadget

*** Spotify For iPhone Review: Finally, Some Progress! ***
<http://www.imore.com/spotify-iphone-review-finally-some-progress>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> If you only stream music on your iPhone, the Spotify service paired with its new iPhone app won't disappoint. For those that depend on their iPads for streaming music, other options such as Rdio are still more worthy of your money.

*** California Senate Passes Smartphone Kill Switch Bill ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-08/california-senate-passes-smartphone-kill-switch-bill.html>
Michael B. Marois, Bloomberg

> The same legislation was rejected a month ago amid pressure from the industry. The author of the legislation, San Francisco Democrat Mark Leno, amended the bill to exclude tablets from the mandate and to extend the date it becomes effective by six months to allow companies to sell off existing supplies.

*** Instapaper Freshens Up With A New Logo, Website Redesign And Text Highlighting Feature ***
<http://thenextweb.com/dd/2014/05/08/instapaper-freshens-new-logo-website-redesign-text-highlighting-feature/>
Nick Summers, The Next Web

> The company is keen to push its premium subscription service, so free users will be capped at five highlights per month, while subscribers have an unlimited number.

*** Titles ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2014/05/titles>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> Unintentional sexism is sexism nonetheless. There’s almost never a good reason to use a different word to describe a woman’s job than the words you’d choose if the position were held by a man.

*** Apple In Talks For $3.2Bn Beats Deal ***
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e330e830-d6f3-11e3-b95e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz31ADf704q>
Matthew Garrahan and Tim Bradshaw, Financial Times

> The deal could be announced as early as next week, people familiar with the negotiations said, but they cautioned that some details had yet to be agreed and talks could still fall apart.

*** A Magnificent Orangutan Experienced The Best And Worst Of Zoos ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/wild_things/2014/05/09/orangutans_in_zoos_kutai_s_life_shows_the_problems_and_improvements_for.html>
Kathayoon Khalil, Slate

> The truth is zoos are much more than anything you see in a typical visit. Kutai’s experience reflects zoos’ metamorphosis and their changing role in society.

*** The Worst Book Review Ever ***
<http://www.themillions.com/2014/05/the-worst-book-review-ever.html>
Mat Seidel, The Millions

> There are times when a scathing review is simply not sufficient to combat a book’s supreme awfulness. In such cases, a critic must stand between a reader and the work of so-called literature, channeling his inner Gandalf to exclaim, “You Shall Not Pass!” And thus, while professional duty compels me to deliver judgment on the work at hand, I cannot in good conscience reveal the title, author, or any identifying details about its plot for fear that some perverse soul might be tempted to go out and buy it.

*** Slow Type  ***
<http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/slow-type/Content?oid=3913741&showFullText=true&_sm_au_=iVVQFW8n46WQV4MP>
Brian Awehali, East Bay Express