[MyAppleMenu] May 8, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 8 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Review: Pregnancy Apps Track Baby, Mom's Progress ***
<http://www.komonews.com/news/tech/Review-Pregnancy-apps-track-baby-moms-progress-258324451.html>
Bree Fowler, The Associated Press

> Although the apps don't cover everything an expectant mom needs to know, they offer enough that I've barely dusted off my pregnancy books this time around.

*** Apple's Head Of North America Sales To Depart ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/08/us-apple-managementchanges-idUSBREA4704C20140508>
Reuters

> Apple Inc's head of North America sales, Zane Rowe, will leave the company and will be replaced by Doug Beck, who oversees sales in Japan and Korea.

*** Adobe Voice Helps iPad Users Make Video Stories ***
<http://www.imore.com/adobe-voice-helps-ipad-users-make-video-stories>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> Adobe on Thursday announced Voice, a new animated video app designed for the iPad. The software lets you create a video story complete with your own narration, imagery, music and motion graphics. It's free and it's available for download now from the App Store.

*** I Was Having A Lot Of Fun With This iOS Game, And Then It Rained ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/07/i-was-having-a-lot-of-fun-with-this-ios-game-and-then-it-rained/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> Every time I think I've seen the last, best new puzzle game idea, another game comes out of nowhere to blindside me. You wouldn't think a concept as simple as catching drops of rain in buckets could translate into a gripping puzzle experience, but you'd be wrong. '... and then it rained' is just such a game, and it's both relaxing and brutally punishing at the same time.

*** GoodReader Update Adds Masses Of Editing Flexibility, Offers 60 Percent Discount ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/08/goodreader-update-adds-masses-of-editing-flexibility-offers-60-percent-discount/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** An iPhone App Offers Quick And Inexpensive Melanoma Screening ***
<http://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/2014/May/0506ZouridakisDermoScope.php>
Jeannie Kever, University Of Houston

> George Zouridakis, professor of engineering technology, has worked on the project since 2005, moving it to an application for a mobile phone after the iPhone became ubiquitous. The goal is to provide quick screening in rural areas or in the developing world, where specialty medical care generally isn’t available, he said.
> Early testing found the device to be accurate about 85 percent of the time, Zouridakis said, similar to the accuracy rate for dermatologists and more accurate than primary care physicians. Patients would be referred for follow-up if the lesion were suspected to be cancerous.

*** Apple Publishes New Legal Process Guidelines For Law Enforcement Information Requests ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/07/apple-publishes-new-legal-process-guidelines-for-law-enforcement-information-requests/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> Much of the information is pretty straightforward: Apple can’t give law enforcement officials the passcode to a locked iOS device, geolocation data for active iOS devices is not stored by Apple and thus cannot be turned over to law enforcement, and so on.

*** 6 iPad Apps For Creative Writing ***
<http://www.edutopia.org/blog/ipad-apps-for-creative-writing-monica-burns>
Monica Burns, Edutopia

> For students at all levels, creative writing is an important part of English language arts curriculum. Not only do the Common Core State Standards specifically outline the expectation that students should be able to express themselves through the written word, but this is also an essential real-world skill. Students should have the ability to write narratives that tell a story from their own life or a story that they've imagined. The following apps will inspire young writers and give them a vehicle for sharing their work.

*** Family Unity Doesn't Extend To Apple IDs ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/07/us-smartphone-id-limits-apple-idUSBREA460KR20140507>
Lou Carlozo, Reuters

> As parents come to realize the limitations of their Apple ID and Google Play strategies, they are frustrated. All the apps, songs and movies they've purchased are quarantined in their own accounts. When the kids branch out to their own devices, they pretty much just have to start over, with limited workarounds.

*** Apple Inviting Employees To March In Annual San Francisco LGBT Pride Parade ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/07/apple-inviting-employees-to-march-in-annual-san-francisco-lgbt-pride-parade/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has invited its employees through an internal memo to participate and represent the company together next month at San Francisco’s annual LGBT pride parade. Apple will host a base camp for registered attendees made up of Apple employees and their families and will supply entertainment and breakfast as well as T-shirts for participants.

*** How To Set Up And Use Screen Sharing In OS X ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/05/07/how-to-set-up-and-use-screen-sharing-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

*** Katie Cotton ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2014/05/katie_cotton>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> Most big corporations employ outside PR agencies. Not Apple. Apple’s internal public relations team is itself a world-class agency. That team was built entirely under Cotton’s leadership.

*** Katie Cotton, Apple’s Vice President Of Communications, Is Leaving ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/05/07/katie-cotton-apples-vice-president-of-communications-is-retiring/>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> Cotton headed up communications for Apple, one of the most secretive companies in the technology world, during a period of incredible growth fueled by the introduction of the iPhone and iPad. She is one of the driving forces behind Apple’s carefully orchestrated product launches. Her public relations team aggressively controlled the message around new key products and maintained an air of mystery around the company and the brand.

*** The Day I Started Lying To Ruth ***
<http://nymag.com/news/features/cancer-peter-bach-2014-5/?_sm_au_=iVV5R0SHZHFtj6Sr>
Peter B. Bach, New York Magazine

> A cancer doctor on losing his wife to cancer.

*** From Retail Palace To Zombie Mall: How Efficiency Killed The Department Store ***
<http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/how-efficiency-killed-the-department-store/>
Lisa Hix, Collectors Weekly

> “Today, we shop as if we know about everything that we’re shopping for, but in the mid-century, you trusted your department store.”

*** ‘Worst. Person. Ever.,’ By Douglas Coupland ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/worst-person-ever-by-douglas-coupland/2014/05/06/6c053ce6-cfde-11e3-a6b1-45c4dffb85a6_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Steve Donoghue, Washington Post