[MyAppleMenu] May 5, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 5 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Why The MacBook Air Design Never Changes ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457480,00.asp>
Joel Santo Domingo, PC Magazine

*** Review: Zoom iQ5 Stereo Condensor Microphone For Lightning Compatible iDevices ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/134229/review-zoom-iq5-stereo-condensor-microphone-lightning-compatible-idevices/>
Kirk Hiner, TechnologyTell

> The Zoom iQ5 is a mid-side stereo condenser mic that’s small enough to fit in your pocket. It attaches directly to the Lightning port on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, but because of the wide base of the unit, you may run into some fit issues with your case.

*** Adobe Lightroom Mobile For iPad Review - Use Your iPad To Bring Order To Your Collections ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/photography/adobe-lightroom-mobile-for-ipad-review-3514834/>
Michael Burns, Macworld UK

> Despite several glaring omissions, which hopefully will be addressed in version 2.0, it offers a useful mobile extension to a professional photography workflow. Those who have already purchased Lightroom as a standalone product are cut out of the loop however. Rather than take out a Creative Cloud subscription, third-party standalone apps seem more likely to receive their patronage.

*** Alternatives To iPhoto: Eight Of The Best Options For iPhoto Users ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/group-test-alternatives-iphoto-3514061/>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

> Most Mac users are perfectly happy to organise their photos in iPhoto. It’s a fast, efficient program with an attractive interface and, of course, it comes free with all Macs. In those respects it’s a typical piece of Apple software – but, like most Apple products, it also likes to do things its own way. Here are eight options for iPhoto users.

*** How To Share iWork '13 Files With iOS Devices ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2150867/how-to-share-iwork-13-files-with-ios-devices.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** iOS 7 Doesn't Encrypt Email Attachments ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/ios-7-doesnt-encrypt-email-attachments-7000028962/>
Larry Seltzer, ZDNet

> A researcher has reported to Apple that email attachments stored on an iOS device are not encrypted at rest, contrary to Apple's claims.

*** A Path To Retirement, For Those Far From It ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/your-money/a-path-to-retirement-for-those-far-from-it.html?_r=0>
Jeff Sommer, New York Times

> In his advisory business, he is aiming at a different group: rich people with portfolios of at least $25 million, who pay him for advice and other services. But he said the “If I Can” guide is “entirely eleemosynary” (or a charitable offering, if you don’t feel like running to your dictionary). “I hope some of the people who use it will become rich, but I don’t expect to be around when they are,” said Mr. Bernstein, 65.

*** Calibrate Your Mac’s Monitor To Ensure Proper Color Representation ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/05/04/calibrate-your-macs-monitor-to-ensure-proper-color-representation/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

*** Book Review: 'Dreams Of The Good Life,' By Richard Mabey. ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303939404579531612462958126>
Michael Caines, Wall Street Journal

> Flora Thompson's trilogy, "Lark Rise to Candleford," is one of the happiest books about the English countryside, yet it was written in a time of war.

*** The Conjuring Of The Mirage ***
<http://vegasseven.com/2014/04/30/the-conjuring-of-the-mirage/>
David G. Schwartz, Vegas Seven

> 25 years ago, Steve Wynn was busily creating a new kind of resort. This is the tale of the alchemy–and the crazy risk–that changed the Strip forever.

*** The End Of Food ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/05/12/140512fa_fact_widdicombe>
Lizzie Widdicombe, New Yorker