[MyAppleMenu] May 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 4 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** What Writing - And Selling - Software Was Like In The 80'S ***
<http://thecodist.com/article/what_writing_and_selling_software_was_like_in_the_80_39_s>
Andrew Wulf, The Codist

> We got a good review in Macworld, but the guy who wrote the MacUser review had a bad day and the review was horrible. Of course these were written in January and only came out 3 months later. The one bad review killed our sales. When the only source of information is reviews it only took one bad one. Being a small developer we couldn't fix it fast enough - it took months to make changes, ship it, and then wait for an updated review 4 months or so later in the magazine. A year later we met the author and he admitted he hadn't been fair and took his personal issues out on us.

*** The Great Smartphone War ***
<http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/06/apple-samsung-smartphone-patent-war>
Kurt Eichenwald, Vanity Fair

> For three years, Apple and Samsung have clashed on a scale almost unprecedented in business history, their legal war costing more than a billion dollars and spanning four continents. Beginning with the super-secret project that created the iPhone and the late Steve Jobs’s fury when Samsung—an Apple supplier!—brought out a shockingly similar device, Kurt Eichenwald explores the Korean company’s record of patent infringement, among other ruthless business tactics, and explains why Apple might win the battles but still lose the war.

*** Mailbag: Can I Back Up My Mac To Windows Home Server 2011? ***
<http://www.wegotserved.com/2014/05/03/mailbag-can-back-mac-windows-home-server-2011/>
Terry Walsh, We Got Served

*** When Hitting ‘Find My iPhone’ Takes You To A Thief’s Doorstep ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/us/when-hitting-find-my-iphone-takes-you-to-a-thiefs-doorstep.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Ian Lovett, New York Times

> With smartphone theft rampant, apps like Find My iPhone offer a new option for those desperate to recover their devices, allowing victims like Ms. Maguire to act when the police will not. But the emergence of this kind of do-it-yourself justice — an unintended result of the proliferation of GPS tracking apps — has stirred worries among law enforcement officials that people are putting themselves in danger, taking disproportionate risks for the sake of an easily replaced item.

*** More Coding Nits ***
<http://inessential.com/2014/05/03/more_coding_nits>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> My point, by the way, is <i>not</i> to make anyone afraid of releasing their code. Don’t be afraid — releasing code is a great thing to do.

> I’ve released dumb stuff sometimes. Totally idiotic things. It’s fine. The point is to learn and get better. That’s it.

I'm learning a lot from Brent's blog.

*** Alan Guth: What Made The Big Bang Bang ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2014/05/02/alan-guth-what-made-big-bang-bang/RmI4s9yCI56jKF6ddMiF4L/story.html>
Neil Swidey, The Boston Globe

> Nearly 35 years ago, the MIT physicist figured out what made the Big Bang bang. Finally, there’s evidence.

*** ‘All The Light We Cannot See’ By Anthony Doerr ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/05/03/review-all-light-cannot-see-anthony-doerr/BCqWZuK73k2ZkdAtkhyt9L/story.html>
John Freeman, The Boston Globe

> In page after page, he allows simple details to say much. “Most of the time Werner rides backward,” he writes about the boy, now grown into a soldier riding in the back of a truck, “looking at land they are leaving.” He allows the human gaze its original purpose — not acquisition, but pattern-recognition, appreciation, orientation.

*** Ghost Moon By Ron Butlin - Book Review ***
<http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/ghost-moon-by-ron-butlin--book-review-9317214.html>
Michael North, The Independent

> The fourth novel by the poet, dramatist and Edinburgh Makar (the city’s poet laureate) Ron Butlin has a dramatic urgency that pulls the reader along, eager to know the fate of its compelling central character, Maggie. It left me with the same sick feeling about the injustices of a warped society that were inspired by the film Philomena, another tale of tortured mother love. Ghost Moon, however, has a more positive ending.

*** Hotel Pastis By Peter Mayle Book Review ***
<http://blogs.seacoastonline.com/seacoast-nh-books/2014/05/03/hotel-pastis-by-peter-mayle-book-review/>
Rebecca Skane, Seacoast Online

> <i>Hotel Pastis</i> is a story about a man who thought the grass was greener on the other side. But when he got to the other side, well – you’ll just have to see for yourself.

*** What Being Bilingual Means For My Writing And Identity ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/may/03/george-szirtes-bilingual-poetry-translation>
George Szirtes, The Guardian