[MyAppleMenu] May 3, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 3 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Four Cloning Solutions For OS X ***
<http://www.techrepublic.com/article/four-cloning-solutions-for-os-x/#.>
Jesus Vigo, TechRepublic

> Let's take a look at four cloning solutions for OS X to further diversify your disaster recovery plan.

*** ComiXology, In-app Purchasing And How Quickly Things Turn ***
<http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-entertainment/the-daily-sizzle/comixology-in-app-purchasing-and-how-quickly-things-turn/#.U2RKjl671lI>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> Did ComiXology learn anything from this?

> What do they regret?

> I imagine that ComiXology’s leaders have been struggling with these questions ever since the online response began to flood in, and the one-star reviews of the new iOS app surpassed the 1,000 mark.

*** The New Firefox Is Fantastic. So Is Every Other Web Browser. ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/02/the-new-firefox-is-fantastic-so-is-every-other-web-browser/?_php=true&_type=blogs&module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog%20Main&contentCollection=State%20of%20the%20Art&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body&_r=0>
Farhad Manjoo, New York Times

*** What iOS RSS Readers Are Missing ***
<http://brooksreview.net/2014/04/what-ios-rss-readers-are-missing/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

> Since I took the time to dive into Unread and really consider the app, and the app category, I came up with a few things that I think are generally missing for some, if not all, RSS apps.

*** Lab Tested: New 2014 MacBook Air Benchmarks ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2150841/lab-tested-new-2014-macbook-air-benchmarks.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

> While the faster processor did help the new MacBook Airs in our application tests, the flash storage didn’t perform as well as we’d expected.

*** 3 Simple Ways To Clear Up "Other" Memory On Your iOS Device ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/02/3-simple-ways-to-clear-up-other-memory-on-your-ios-device/?ncid=rss_truncated>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> With storage at a premium and a whole wonderful world of apps just waiting at your finger tips you've probably found yourself looking at your iPhone memory information and quietly cursed the name of Other.

*** Jury Finds Samsung Phones Infringe On Several Apple Patents, Awards $119.6 Million ***
<http://recode.net/2014/05/02/jury-finds-samsung-infringed-on-apple-patents/>
Ina Fried, Re/code

*** Eat Our Words ***
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/01eef3be-cffd-11e3-a2b7-00144feabdc0.html#axzz30chRBIpr>
Tim Hayward, Financial Times

> The food world has developed its own absurd language. Like jargon used in the art world, it risks alienating the real audience.

*** The Great Works Of Software ***
<https://medium.com/message/705b87339971>
Paul Ford, Medium

> Is it possible to propose a <i>software canon</i>? To enumerate great works of software that are deeply influential—that changed the nature of the code that followed?

*** Technology Is Taking Over English Departments ***
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117428/limits-digital-humanities-adam-kirsch>
Adam Kirsch, New Republic

> The false promise of the digital humanities.

*** The Way Of Tea ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article05021401.aspx>
Shelby Vittek, The Smart Set