[MyAppleMenu] Mar 28, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 28 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** 5 Best Mac Backup Options ***
<http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/03/28/5-best-mac-backup-options/>
Craig Lloyd, Gotta Be Mobile

*** Microsoft OneNote (For Mac) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455497,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K0000530&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag+(PCMag.com%3A+New+Product+Reviews)>
Michael Muchmore, PC Magazine

> Personally, I find OneNote indispensable, particularly for taking notes at meetings. But its usefulness is hardly limited to that. You could use it for classwork, shopping, cooking, and travel plans, as well as general idea-saving and brainstorming.

*** Microsoft Office For iPad Review: Finally! True Productivity On Your Tablet ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2111900/microsoft-office-for-ipad-review-finally-true-productivity-on-your-tablet.html>
Mark Hachman, PCWorld

*** How To Take A Screenshot In OS X ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/03/27/how-to-take-a-screenshot-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Built into Mac OS X is the ability to take screenshots using simple keyboard commands, which can be exceptionally useful for communicating what you are seeing on-screen with others.

*** Random For iOS Lets You Explore The Web In A Unique Way ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/27/random-for-ios-lets-you-explore-the-web-in-a-unique-way/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> You wind up looking at things you might not see otherwise, and it is far less limiting than a news focused app or one of the online magazines.

*** Facebook Messenger 4.0 Adds Group Creation, Message Forwarding ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/facebook-messenger-4-0-adds-group-creation-message-forwarding/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Microsoft Office For iPad Review ***
<http://winsupersite.com/office/microsoft-office-ipad-review>
Paul Thurrott, Supersite For Windows

> For now, know this: Office for iPad is surprisingly impressive, almost disarming. It's the real deal, a full-featured set of Office apps that looks and works naturally on the iPad. It's a sort of "best of both worlds" scenario for those people who do need Office functionality and have chosen iPad, a way to bridge the previously fuzzy area between the PC and the iPad.

*** Microsoft Office Finally Comes To The iPad, With Caveats ***
<http://recode.net/2014/03/27/microsoft-office-finally-comes-to-the-ipad-with-caveats/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Bonnie Cha, Re/code

> Microsoft has done nice work to create a touch-friendly and capable Office suite for the iPad. It’s a boon for Office 365 subscribers, and worth a look for nonsubscribers who use Office a lot.

*** Office 365 Free For A Year For iPad Owners (3 Days Only) ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/office-365-free-for-a-year-for-ipad-owners-3-days-only-7000027809/>
James Kendrick, ZDNet

> To promote the big launch, Microsoft is offering a one-year Office 365 subscription to the first 50 customers who bring an iPad into a Microsoft store.

*** TodoMovies 3 Helps You Keep Track Of Your Most Anticipated Movies ***
<http://www.imore.com/todomovies-3-helps-you-track-your-most-anticipated-movies>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> TodoMovies 3 is a new way to find out about interesting and popular movies. You can seen easily find new movies, read news, and add films to your To Watch or Watched lists. You can easily browse movies by genre, or see what's currently in theaters or upcoming releases.

*** UpTo For iPhone And iPad: A Calendar App You Look Forward To Checking Each Day ***
<http://www.imore.com/upto-ios-review-calendar-youll-look-forward-checking-each-day>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> UpTo is a new kind of calendar for iOS that combines your personal and business schedules together in an incredibly unique way. Need to remember that board meeting tomorrow but also don't want to forget to check in on baseball scores? No problem. UpTo can keep you on task while letting you check in on personal things that are still important to you, when you have time.

*** Office Mobile For iPhone Goes Free For All Users ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/27/office-mobile-for-iphone-goes-free-for-all-users/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Microsoft Updates OneNote iPad App With New iOS 7 Design ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/27/5554762/microsoft-updates-onenote-ipad-app-with-ios7-design>
Chris Welch, The Verge

> In keeping with the other new productivity apps it rolled out for iPad earlier today, Microsoft has updated OneNote with a new design that's a better fit for iOS 7. It feels right at home next to the brand new Word, PowerPoint, and Excel apps, which makes sense since OneNote is also part of the Office suite.

*** Microsoft Office For iPad Sets The Gold Standard For Tablet Productivity ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-office-for-ipad-sets-the-gold-standard-for-tablet-productivity-7000027797/>
Ed Bott, ZDNet

> The apps themselves are fast and extremely responsive. They also walk the delicate tightrope between observing iPad interface conventions and building on the muscle memory of anyone who’s used the desktop apps included with an Office 365 subscription.

*** Microsoft Is Selling Office 365 Within iPad Apps, And Apple Is Getting Its 30 Percent Cut ***
<http://recode.net/2014/03/27/microsoft-is-selling-office-365-within-ipad-apps-and-apple-is-getting-its-30-percent-cut/>
Ina Fried, Re/code

> Microsoft does offer Office 365 subscriptions within the just-released Word for iPad and the other Office apps and, yes, it is paying the 30 percent cut, Apple confirmed to <i>Re/code</i>. Microsoft declined to comment on the matter.

*** Satya Nadella On Why Office For iPad Took So Long ***
<http://recode.net/2014/03/27/satya-nadella-on-why-office-for-ipad-took-so-long/>
Ina Fried, Re/code

> “We’ve been obviously working on this for a while,” Nadella told reporters. “The thing we wanted to get most right was the combination of what I would call the combination of the app, the enterprise architecture, the developer APIs, and then marry it with the device and what you expect from the device. … It’s not just a trivial thing, let’s port Word for Windows to a particular device.”

*** Office For iPad Review: Three Beautiful Apps, Each With Strong Competition ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/27/office-for-ipad-review/>
Dana Wollman, Engadget

> Rather than simply blow up the current iPhone app to iPad-sized proportions, the company started from scratch, and built a software suite that takes advantage of the iPad's extra screen real estate. This means a lovely design that looks less like a mobile app, and more like a full version of Office. It also means more features -- everything from custom text colors to a "whiteboard" that you can use to write off-the-cuff comments during presentations.

*** Microsoft’s Office Suite Finally Coming To iPad, Maybe Too Late ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/technology/microsofts-office-suite-for-ipad.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
Nick Wingfield, New York Times

> At the conference, Mr. Nadella said Microsoft intends to make sure its Office software can work on all major computing devices, including those made by its competitors.

> Microsoft’s decision to bring Office to the Apple device comes after years of wavering by the company as it mulled over the product’s implications for its own efforts to make a tablet computer. To many people, the move is a refreshing sign of a new Microsoft, one slowly unshackling itself from an era when all of its major decisions were made in deference to Windows, Microsoft’s operating system.

*** What’s The Best Way To Execute Someone? ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/03/death_penalty_drugs_lethal_injection_executions_are_so_bad_that_it_s_time.html>
Matt McCarthy, Slate

> Because of the breathtaking incompetence of state governments and prison systems, we can no longer rely on lethal injection as a means of execution. Until the American Board of Anesthesiology and the American Medical Association collectively reverse their position banning physician involvement—and there’s no indication they will (or should)—we must seriously consider a return to the firing squad.

*** The Poetic Torture-House Of Language ***
<http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/article/247352>
Slavoj Žižek, Poetry Foundation