[MyAppleMenu] Mar 29, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 29 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Send An iTunes Or Apple Store Gift Card With The Apple Store App For iPhone ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-send-itunes-or-apple-store-gift-card-your-iphone-apple-store-app>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> The Apple Store app not only lets you pick up the latest Apple gear, no computer required — it also lets you gift things to others. One of the most common gifts we tend to give are iTunes and Apple Store gift cards. The Apple Store app lets you do that too, if you know where to look. Here's how.

*** Apple Sends Out Letters To Cupertino 'Neighbors' With Updates On Campus 2 Construction ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/28/apple-sends-out-letters-to-cupertino-neighbors-with-updates-on-campus-2-construction->
AppleInsider

*** Office For iPad Keyboard Case Review Round-up ***
<http://www.slashgear.com/office-for-ipad-keyboard-case-review-round-up-28322828/>
Chris Davies, SlashGear

> Sometimes it takes a real keyboard to get proper work done. Thankfully even before Office's much-anticipated release, Bluetooth keyboard cases for the iPad Air and iPad mini have proliferated. Head on past the cut as we look at the best from Zagg, Logitech, Belkin, and Microsoft.

*** Review: +Energy For iPhone 5 And 5S ***
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/business/technology/9880840/Review-Energy-for-iPhone-5-and-5S>
Chris Gardner, Waikato Times

*** Cryptocat (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455491,00.asp>
Max Eddy, PC Magazine

> When you need to carry out a secure conversation, it's ready and easy to use. But it isn't yet a seamless personal service.

*** Apple E-Book Consumer Suit Allowed To Proceed As Group Case ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-28/apple-e-book-buyers-can-sue-company-as-a-group-judge-rules.html>
Bob Van Voris, Bloomberg

> U.S. District Judge Denise Cote in Manhattan concluded in July that Apple violated antitrust laws in its contracts with e-book publishers. The ruling came after a nonjury trial in cases filed by the U.S. Justice Department and 33 states and territories.

> In today’s decision, Cote said consumers in the states and territories that didn’t take part in the trial may pursue their claims together as a class action, which allows plaintiffs to pool resources. Cote plans a separate trial to determine damages to the states and consumers. The Justice Department sought only corrective orders in the case and didn’t ask for damages.

*** Daily App: Monocle Offers Menu Bar Search For Mac Owners Running Almost Any OS X Version ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/28/daily-app-monocle-offers-menu-bar-search-for-mac-owners-running/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** Microsoft Says Printing Functions Will Come To Office For iPad Soon ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2137360/microsoft-says-printing-functions-will-come-to-office-for-ipad-soon.html#tk.rss_all>
Mark Hachman, PCWorld

*** Expo Notes: Thunderbolt Takes Over ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2137365/expo-notes-thunderbolt-takes-over.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

> While much of the Macworld iWorld show floor is devoted to iOS and software products, there is still plenty of Mac OS hardware to be found. In particular, a bunch of companies are showing off devices equipped with the fastest external connection found on modern Macs: Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2.

*** CableCoreHub Adds Valuable USB 3 Ports To Your Mac ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2014/03/28/cablecorehub-adds-valuable-usb-3-ports-mac/>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

> This iMac base station adds three additional USB 3.0 ports to your iMac as well as one high-speed charge only USB port that can quickly charge iPads and other tablets.

*** The Roost Makes Working From Your Laptop A Bit Better On Your Back ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2014/03/28/roost-makes-working-laptop-bit-better-back/>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

> The Roost is an upright desktop stand for your MacBook that is meant for use in conjunction with a separate keyboard and mouse. This combination makes working while standing or sitting more comfortable and ergonomic.

*** Mini-review: People Who Already Use Office Will Love Office For iPad ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/mini-review-people-who-already-use-office-will-love-office-for-ipad/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Microsoft Office for iPad is a great suite of applications that suffers from few Version-One-Point-Oh deficiencies, printing support aside.

*** PencilCase Lets You Make iOS Apps Even If You Don’t Know How To Code ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2014/03/28/pencilcase-lets-make-ios-apps-even-dont-know-code/>
Nick Mediati, Macgasm

> You design your app on your Mac, and the toolkit makes heavy use of drag and drop: Simply drag elements into your app and move them around until they are right where you want them.

*** Bernard And Cerinthe ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/29/bernard-cerinthe-linda-france-national-poetry-competition>
Linda France, The Guardian

*** Everybody Loathes Raymond ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/books/review/douglas-couplands-worst-person-ever.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
B. J. Novak, New York Times

> Is Gunt meant to be a reasonable straight man of sorts, in the midst of an entire world gone bad — as he repeatedly claims in direct entreaties to the reader? Or is the world itself the straight man, allowing us to appreciate the antics of a uniquely loathsome human being?

*** Downtown Food Goes North ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/nyregion/downtown-food-goes-north.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Glenn Collins, New York Times

> Upper Manhattan as a whole was never exactly the land that food forgot, but now this sprawling, hilly fastness — where not too long ago “people never ate out because they had to be home at 7 to watch ‘Jeopardy,’ ” as James Moran Jr., who was born in the neighborhood and now runs a restaurant there, put it — has been showing the unmistakable signs of menu relevance.

*** My 11:35 PM TV Comedy Provider ***
<http://ihnatko.com/2014/03/28/my-1135-pm-tv-comedy-provider/>
Andy Ihnatko