[MyAppleMenu] Mar 26, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 26 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Use The iTunes Wish List ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2111801/how-to-use-the-itunes-wish-list.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

*** Day-O Review: Me Say Day On The Mac's Menu Bar ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2110947/day-o-review-me-say-day-on-the-macs-menu-bar.html#tk.rss_all>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> Day-O gives you the simple, pop-up menu-bar calendar that OS X lacks.

*** New York Times: 'Unfortunate Coincidence' Over Apple Ad And Flight 370 Headline ***
<http://adage.com/article/media/york-times-removes-apple-ad-flight-370-juxtaposition/292302/>
Michael Sebastian, Advertising Age

> A spokeswoman for the Times had this to say about the ad: "It was an unfortunate coincidence that this particular creative ran adjacent to that particular article. The ad was taken down by mutual agreement and we are still determining a resolution regarding placing the ad again."

Unfortunate.

*** Check Your Kindle Account For Your Credit From The Apple Ebook Settlement ***
<http://gigaom.com/2014/03/25/check-your-kindle-account-for-your-credit-from-the-apple-ebook-settlement/>
Laura Hazard Owen, GigaOM

*** Apple Engineer Recalls The iPhone's Birth ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303949704579461783150723874?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303949704579461783150723874.html>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> Almost seven years into the life of the iPhone, Mr. Christie said one moment stands out. A few days before Mr. Jobs's keynote, Mr. Christie entered the auditorium through a side door using two separate security badges, then pulled back a thick curtain. He saw a giant image of the iPhone's home screen projected onto the screen in the dark room. At that moment, he said, he realized how big the phone would be.

> "It was glowing in this huge space," said Mr. Christie. "My heart skipped a beat and I thought, 'This is actually happening.'"

*** Cathy Edwards, Co-Founder Of Chomp, Is Leaving Apple On April 11 ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/cathy-edwards-co-founder-of-chomp-is-leaving-apple-on-april-11/>
Ingrid Lunden, TechCrunch

> Apple, if you recall, acquired Chomp in February 2012 for $50 million, kickstarting a long-term revamp of how users search for and discover apps in the iOS App Store and elsewhere in the Apple ecosystem (which is ever in progress).

*** Next Is My New Favorite Expense Tracker ***
<https://beautifulpixels.com/iphone/next-expense-tracker/>
Khamosh Pathak, Beautiful Pixels

*** Five Mac OS X Tricks For People Using Macs For Audio ***
<http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2014/3/25/five-mac-os-x-tricks-for-people-using-macs-for-audio.html?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Julian Rodgers, Pro Tools Expert

*** Twitterrific For iOS Goes Free, Adds In-app Purchases ***
<http://www.imore.com/twitterrific-goes-free-adds-app-purchases>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> While new users can try before they buy, those who have already purchased the app will have all features unlocked automatically.

*** The Ultimate Mac User's Guide To Minecraft On OS X - Mods, Skins, And More ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/25/the-ultimate-mac-users-guide-to-minecraft-on-os-x-mods-skins/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> Minecraft is an amazing game thanks largely to a massive community of creative individuals who spend their free time tweaking, modifying, and overhauling just about every aspect of the experience. The game can be played in its "vanilla" version quite easily on OS X -- and to be fair the original, untouched game is still an absolute blast to play -- but once you've gotten an eyeful of what the modding community has done to developer Mojang's surreal sandbox, it's hard to go back.

*** Use Your iPod Touch Or iPad As An iPhone ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14611?rss>
Josh Centers and Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Hacking together such a system won’t be as convenient as an iPhone, in terms of software (no Phone app) and hardware (dealing with audio, and you will likely need an extra device when away from Wi-Fi). But is some inconvenience worth $600 or more per year in saved cell phone bills, particularly if you have a landline at home and work?

*** Loving Animals To Death ***
<http://theamericanscholar.org/loving-animals-to-death/#.UzKUIdy71lJ>
James McWilliams, The American Scholar

> How can we raise them humanely and then butcher them?

*** I Sold My Undergraduate Thesis To A Print Content Farm ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/03/lap_lambert_academic_publishing_my_trip_to_a_print_content_farm.single.html>
Joseph Stromberg, Slate