[MyAppleMenu] Mar 18, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 18 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Microsoft OneDrive Vs. Google Drive And Dropbox: Best File Sync Service For Mac? ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/cloud/microsoft-onedrive-review-3507128/>
Lou Hattersley, Macworld UK

> While OneDrive good value, the recent price drop from Google Drive (which offers a largely similar service) has taken some of the wind out of OneDrive's sails. However you do get integration with Office Online, and if Microsoft brings decent Office support to the IPad it could be a game changer.

*** Hands-on With Microsoft’s OneNote For OS X ***
<http://gigaom.com/2014/03/18/hands-on-with-microsofts-onenote-for-os-x/>
Mark Crump, GigaOM

*** First Impressions: How Microsoft’s New OneNote Stacks Up Against Evernote ***
<http://www.geekwire.com/2014/first-impressions-onenote-stack-evernote/>
Blair Hanley Frank, GeekWire

> For people who need a robust tool that’s focused on text-based notetaking, OneNote seems like the better choice right now. But for people like me who want their notetaking software to be a bucket for everything they need to remember, it looks like Evernote still beats OneNote, hands-down.

*** First Look: Could Microsoft OneNote For Mac Replace Evernote? ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2108501/first-look-could-microsoft-onenote-for-mac-replace-evernote.html>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> OneNote’s price, collaboration capabilities, and particularly its freeform note-taking feature make it a compelling application for capturing your ideas as quickly as possible. Whether it'll be a compelling alternative to Evernote remains to be seen.

*** Despicable Me: Minion Rush Adds New Levels, Challenges, Costumes, And More In Version 1.7.1 ***
<http://www.imore.com/despicable-me-minion-rush-adds-new-levels-challenges-costumes-and-more-version-171>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Apple Resurrects The iPad 4 At $399, Retires The iPad 2 At Long Last ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/apple-resurrects-the-ipad-4-at-399-retires-the-ipad-2-at-long-last/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> This morning Apple made a couple of new additions to its iOS lineup, where "new" in this case means "old stuff that is nevertheless better than what it is replacing." It has finally removed the iPad 2 from its lineup and replaced it with 2012's fourth-generation iPad. For its second tour of duty, the iPad 4 will set you back $399 for a 16GB Wi-Fi version or $529 for a cellular version, $100 less than the equivalent iPad Air models and equal to the 16GB Retina iPad mini. There's also a new 8GB model of the iPhone 5C, which, as of this writing, is only available in certain territories.

*** Five Must-have Apps For March Madness ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2109201/five-must-have-apps-for-march-madness.html#tk.rss_all>
Leah Yamshon, TechHive

> Whether you’re a casual fan or a hardcore hoops aficionado, some mobile helps can help you enjoy the mania. Use them to build your bracket, compete with your friends, and follow all of the action all the way to the Final Four and championships.

*** Apple Ends Windows 7 Support In Boot Camp For New Mac Pro ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/17/apple-ends-windows-7-support-in-boot-camp-for-new-mac-pro>
AppleInsider

*** Start-ups With An Apple Flavour ***
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/516fad4c-a91b-11e3-bf0c-00144feab7de.html#axzz2wGF5OzwR>
Tim Bradshaw, Financial Times

> High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support at ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/516fad4c-a91b-11e3-bf0c-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2wGFUQLM3

> Now, as this former senior manager for the iPhone maker prepares to launch a product of his own, Mr Grignon says his encounters with Apple’s tempestuous co-founder prepared him for anything. “Once you’ve gone through the worst of a Steve meeting, any other meeting – whether pitching an investor or giving a demo – doesn’t feel hard,” he says. “When you are yelled at by Steve Jobs you know you are being yelled at by the best.”

> High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support at ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/516fad4c-a91b-11e3-bf0c-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2wGFVFRhN

> Mr Grignon is part of a select group in Silicon Valley: Apple alumni who have gone on to found their own companies. Whereas many former Google or Facebook employees have launched start-ups, Apple has not been a wellspring of entrepreneurialism.

*** Microsoft Launches Free OneNote For Mac, Freemium OneNote For Windows, And OneNote Cloud API For Apps ***
<http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2014/03/17/microsoft-launches-free-onenote-mac-freemium-onenote-windows-onenote-cloud-api-apps/#!Ahroa>
Emil Protalinski, The Next Web

> With the launch of OneNote for Mac, Microsoft says OneNote is now available “on all the platforms you care about” and “they’re always in sync.” That includes the PC, Mac, Windows tablets, Windows Phone, iPad, iPhone, Android, and the Web.

*** Book Review: Yiyun Li’s ‘Kinder Than Solitude’ Dives Into The Weight Of Memory ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-yiyun-lis-kinder-than-solitude-dives-into-the-weight-of-memory/2014/03/17/c13271b6-a33d-11e3-84d4-e59b1709222c_story.html>
Marie Arana, Washington Post

> Memory is a one-way lane. Going down it, we summon faces from the past: old loves, lost friends, long-vanished relatives, our own young selves. We seldom imagine that our faces will haunt others in return. Or so says Yiyun Li in this sleek, powerful novel about the weight of memory, the brunt of loss and the myriad ways the past can crimp a soul.

*** “Ha!” Takes A Serious Look At Humor ***
<http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/ha-takes-a-serious-look-at-humor/?_php=true&_type=blogs&partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Florence Williams, New York Times