[MyAppleMenu] Mar 19, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 19 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** OneNote For OS X Is Nice, But Evernote's Better ***
<http://betanews.com/2014/03/18/onenote-for-os-x-is-nice-but-evernotes-better-review/>
Mihaita Bamburic, Beta News

> If you are the sort of person who just wants to write notes, and does not care much about the downsides I detailed, OneNote is more pleasant to use than Evernote and, in my opinion, a better choice in this case. I just wish Microsoft would have gotten it right straight off the bat, and made it better for more people.

*** We Test A "Bulletproof" iPhone Screen Protector. With A Gun. And Bullets. ***
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/ars-tests-the-holy-grail-bulletproof-iphone-screen-protector/>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

> The Sir Lancelot's Armor Holy Grail screen protector is a great screen protector. It's easy to apply without any bubbles, and it can be removed and reused without issue. It's quite good at protecting your phone from the kind of abuse it might receive in a purse or pocket or backpack.

> It is not bulletproof. Not even a little bit.

*** Checkmark 2 For iPhone Is A Slick Reminders App ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/18/checkmark-2-for-iphone-is-a-slick-reminders-app/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

*** iOS 7.1 Mobile Safari Minimal UI ***
<http://darkblue.sdf.org/weblog/ios-7-dot-1-mobile-safari-minimal-ui.html>
Jonathan Hollin, Perpetual Beta

> As you will probably already know, Apple’s iOS 7.1 update recently became available. Along with a raft of revisions, security patches and other improvements there was one little feature I was particularly interested in: a new Mobile Safari property known as minimal-ui.

*** Streaming Subscriptions Are Now A Billion-Dollar Business, But Music Sales Stall ***
<http://recode.net/2014/03/18/streaming-subscriptions-are-now-a-billion-dollar-business-but-music-sales-stall/>
Peter Kafka, Re/code

> The growth of download sales, primarily from Apple’s iTunes, has been slowing for a while, and last year the market declined by 2.1 percent — the first time the IFPI has recorded a drop. Downloads still account for 67 percent of digital sales, though.

*** Apple CEO Tim Cook: New Book On Company Is 'Nonsense' ***
<http://www.cnbc.com/id/101488949>
CNBC

> Apple CEO Tim Cook has issued a statement about a new book about the tech giant called, "Haunted Empire," saying it is "nonsense" and fails to capture Apple or former CEO and Co-Founder Steve Jobs.

Serious question: why bother responding?

*** The World's Smallest Time Machine Is Still Pretty Big ***
<http://www.npr.org/2014/03/19/289059215/the-worlds-smallest-time-machine-is-still-pretty-big>
Jason Sheehan, NPR

> The lineup in this book is like the guest list for the greatest cocktail party of all time — writers modern and not so, alive and dead, known tinkerers with the time stream and those who just got it in their heads one day to go back in time and kiss their great-grandmothers or whatever.

*** Read Yourself To Sleep … If You Dare ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/mar/18/read-yourself-to-sleep-if-you-dare>
David Barnett, The Guardian