[MyAppleMenu] Mar 13, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 13 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Secure File Sharing In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57620202-263/secure-file-sharing-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> The default file sharing settings in OS X are fairly secure; however, there may be some situations where your system can be open for others to access.

*** Steller Is A Beautiful Visual Storytelling App, Similar To Storehouse, But For Your iPhone Instead ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/03/13/steller-is-a-beautiful-visual-storytelling-app-similar-to-storehouse-but-for-your-iphone-instead/#!zxEE0>
Kaylene Hong, The Next Web

*** Philips Hue Review: iPhone-controlled Coloured Lightbulbs Are No gimmick ***
<http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/gadget/3506391/philips-hue-review/>
Andrew Harrison, PC Advisor

> The Philips Hue iOS connected coloured lightbulbs have been carefully developed to be a genuinely useful addition to the home.

*** Bad Apple? Groups Protest Chemicals Used In iPhones ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_25329999/bad-apple-groups-protest-chemicals-used-iphones>
Michael Liedtke, Associated Press

*** Due Reminder And Timer App Refreshed For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/due-reminder-and-timer-app-refreshed-for-ios-7/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** At SXSW, Apple's Eddy Cue Presents The First U.S. iTunes Festival ***
<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/03/12/apple-itunes-festival-dalrymple-3/>
Jim Dalrymple, Fortune

> "I wasn't sure we would ever bring it to the U.S.," Cue said. "We have something so special at the festival in London that you had the feeling that if you did it anywhere else, it just wasn't going to be quite good enough. You have to have the right place. The combination of Austin, which has a culture of music, and this venue is fantastic -- it's made for music."

*** A Closer Look At iOS 7.1'S Accessibility Changes ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2107640/a-closer-look-at-ios-7-1s-accessibility-changes.html#tk.rss_all>
Josh de Lioncourt, Macworld

> Although primarily intended for low-vision users, iOS 7.1 improves features for blind users as well as those with motion impairments.

*** Apple TV Update 6.1 Allows AirPlay Discoverability Over Bluetooth ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/12/apple-tv-6-1-bluetooth-airplay/>
Husain Sumra, MacRumors

> This change allows Apple TV to search for connectable devices over Bluetooth, bypassing Bonjour and making it easier for education and business administrators to set up iOS device and Apple TV pairings. Previously, Apple TVs could have a difficult time discovering devices on networks that might block Bonjour.

*** United To Launch Personal In-Flight Entertainment For iOS Devices Next Month ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/12/united-inflight-entertainment/>
Catherine Shu, TechCrunch

*** How Clones, Fear, Sanitisation And Free-to-play Soured Apple’s iOS Gaming Revolution ***
<http://www.edge-online.com/features/how-clones-fear-sanitisation-and-free-to-play-soured-the-ios-gaming-revolution/>
Edge Online

> But the real factors in the future of the iOS gaming landscape will not be chips and controllers, but business models and software. Will we really see the last of the premium games slowly squeezed out in favour of a glut of brainless free-to-play repetition, or will the paid, adventurous and refreshing apps that made us excited about the App Store in the first place hold their niche, or even make a triumphant comeback, in the next few years?

*** Apple Shortens iPhone Return Window To 14 Days ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/12/apple-shortens-iphone-return-window-to-14-days/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

*** Sky Guide For iOS Invites You To Gaze At The Stars ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2105766/sky-guide-for-ios-invites-you-to-gaze-at-the-stars.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> It’s informative without being cluttered and beautiful without sacrificing content. And it brings us just a little big closer to the skies above.

*** 1Password 4.2 For Mac Features Improvements To 1Password Mini, Editing, And More ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/1password-4-2-for-mac-features-improvements-to-1password-mini-editing-and-more/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** FiftyThree's Paper Gets iOS 7 Redesign, Adds New Features ***
<http://www.imore.com/fiftythrees-paper-gets-ios-7-redesign-adds-new-features>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** No One Cares About Your Novel: So Writers, Don’t Be Boring! ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/03/12/no_one_cares_about_your_novel_so_writers_dont_be_boring/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> MFA programs struggle to teach writers the most important lesson of all: You are not owed readers.

*** How Apple's iOS 7.1 Finally Quelled Users' Motion Sickness ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/13/apple-iphone-ipad-ios-71-motion-sickness>
Craig Grannell, The Guardian

> Animations introduced in Apple’s new look for its iPhone and iPad interface in September made some feel physically sick. Now, it’s fixed them.

*** Opera From The Other Side ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/gallery/2014/mar/12/opera-other-side/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Philip Gossett, The New York Review Of Books

> To write the history of opera production, not only must one know the repertory well, but one needs to understand the extraordinary work of the many people involved backstage who make an operatic spectacle function. Few people are as capable of writing such a history as Evan Baker, who has worked as a dramaturge and stage director for decades. Baker understands the changes that have accompanied operatic spectacles in modern times, as nonmusical influences have become an increasingly prominent aspect of the performance.

*** The Engineering Of The Chain Restaurant Menu ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/03/the-engineering-of-the-chain-restaurant-menu/284371/?utm_source=nextdraft>
Megan Garber, The Atlantic