[MyAppleMenu] Mar 12, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 12 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Who Needs To Know How To Code ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304709904579411354120634252>
Angela Chen, Wall Street Journal

> Learning to code is gaining popularity, from 10-year-olds taking private lessons to immersion coding "bootcamps" for adults trying to make a career change.

*** Mac 101: Using The Keyboard Viewer In OS X Mavericks ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/11/mac-101-using-the-keyboard-viewer-in-os-x-mavericks/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** The Best VPN Service To Hide Behind ***
<http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/03/the-best-vpn-service/>
Chris Mills, Gizmodo UK

> Virtual Private Networks are one of the handiest bits of networking wizadry out there, allowing you to use public Wi-Fi with immunity, catch up on <i>Call the Midwife</i> whilst overseas, or even get around your work's anti-Giz filters. However, not all are created equal, so we've rounded up the best of the internet's many VPN offerings for your delectation.

*** CloudyTabs Review: Liberate iCloud Tabs From Safari On Your Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2106360/cloudytabs-review-liberate-icloud-tabs-from-safari-on-your-mac.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> For those who flit between multiple browsers, CloudyTabs can be be a useful tool.

*** Jackery Air: A Powerful Charge ***
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/sc-trav-0311-gear-20140311,0,3761681.story>
Terry Gardner, Chicago Tribune

> I was surprised that a battery this light and thin could double the battery life of my iPhone 5S and also give my iPad a power boost.

*** Mophie's Space Pack Adds Storage, Juice To Your iPhone ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2014/03/11/mophie-space-pack-review/6289813/>
Edward C. Baig, USA Today

> Mophie is hitting on the pain points that some iPhone customers experience. But not everything went smoothly in my tests, and the extra battery and extra storage are going to exact a pretty premium.

*** Review: Apple Mac Pro 2013 ***
<http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2014/03/review-apple-mac-pro-2013/?cmpid=businesshcat#21160101=0>
Dwight Silverman, Houston Chronicle

*** Cash Abroad Rises $206 Billion As Apple To IBM Avoid Tax ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-03-12/cash-abroad-rises-206-billion-as-apple-to-ibm-avoid-u-dot-s-dot-taxes>
Richard Rubin, Bloomberg Businessweek

> The largest U.S.-based companies added $206 billion to their stockpiles of offshore profits last year, parking earnings in low-tax countries until Congress gives them a reason not to.

> The multinational companies have accumulated $1.95 trillion outside the U.S., up 11.8 percent from a year earlier, according to securities filings from 307 corporations reviewed by Bloomberg News. Three U.S.-based companies -- Microsoft Corp., Apple Inc. and International Business Machines Corp. -- added $37.5 billion, or 18.2 percent of the total increase.

*** This Is A Review Of Day One’s New Publish Feature ***
<http://shawnblanc.net/2014/03/day-one-publish-review/>
Shawn Blanc

> In my short time with Publish, I’ve found that it has a surprisingly ancillary effect of encouraging the journaling process just a little bit more. I still consider Day One to be the best journaling app out there, and if this is just the start of what they’ve got in store for updates coming this year, then I’m excited to see what’s next.

*** Nuance Dragon Dictate For Mac 4 Review: Control Your Mac Using Only Your Voice ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/productivity/nuance-dragon-dictate-for-mac-4-review-3506132/>
Martyn Casserly, Macworld UK

> The speech recognition is excellent, making it usable on a daily basis, and the addition of the transcription feature could prove invaluable to students and those that need to write up speeches or presentations on a regular basis.

*** Numerical For iOS Rethinks The Calculator ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/11/numerical-for-ios-rethinks-the-calculator/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Make Your Screen Less Glaring At Night With F.lux ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2014/03/11/make-screen-less-glaring-night-f-lux/>
Nick Mediati, Macgasm

> F.lux is a simple tool that automatically adjusts your screen’s color white balance to better match the lighting in the room at night. The idea is that it’ll make your screen less glaring to stare at and may help you sleep better by limiting your nighttime exposure to blue light.

*** In 'Googleplex,' Plato Makes A Bid For Continuing Importance ***
<http://www.npr.org/2014/03/11/283020055/in-googleplex-plato-makes-a-bid-for-continuing-importance>
Rosecrans Baldwin, NPR

> Today's existential dilemmas sound different than yesteryear's, but they're made of the same stuff. Or so argues <i>Plato at the Googleplex: Why Philosophy Won't Go Away</i>, by Rebecca Newberger Goldstein. In this book, the philosopher is literally dropped into the 21st century to demonstrate his relevance, debating Google engineers and talk-show hosts.

*** How Am I Supposed To Talk To You ***
<http://www.granta.com/New-Writing/How-Am-I-Supposed-To-Talk-To-You>
Lauren Holmes, Granta