[MyAppleMenu] Mar 11, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 11 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Manage Wi-Fi Networks In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57620143-263/how-to-manage-wi-fi-networks-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If regularly connect to more than one Wi-Fi network on your Mac, you can do several things to optimize which networks will get automatically chosen.

*** Apple Adds Australian Accent In Siri Update ***
<http://www.afr.com/p/technology/apple_adds_australian_accent_in_E6HSS0lpniytGbNJFok4zO>
Brian Chen, Financial Review

*** Reverse Wardriving: Tracking Apple And Google Commuter Buses By Their Wi-Fi Clouds ***
<http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2014/03/commuter-bus/>
Kevin Poulsen, Wired

> After a week of reverse-wardriving, it appears the Apple Bus passes my house an average of 36 times a day, and is uncannily punctual, especially in the a.m., when the first bus reliably pops up on my Wi-Fi radar between 6:23:33 and 6:23:56 every morning.

*** Tweetbot 3.3 Adds Avenir Font Option, Large Thumbnails ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/tweetbot-3-3-adds-avenir-font-option-large-thumbnails/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Apple iOS 7.1 Launches Major iBeacon Improvement ***
<http://beekn.net/2014/03/apple-ios-7-1-launches-major-ibeacon-improvement/>
Doug Thompson, BEEKn

> As of today, once an app is installed it will “look” for beacons even if your app is shut down or you’ve rebooted your phone.

*** Verbs Instant Messaging App Goes 3.0 With New iOS 7 Design And New Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/03/verbs-instant-messaging-app-goes-3-0-with-new-ios-7-design-and-new-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Asking Mr. Big ***
<http://archrecord.construction.com/features/2014/1403-Asking-Mr-Big-Norman-Foster.asp?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Cathleen McGuigan, Architectural Record

> Foster+Partners has designed megaprojects around the globe, from airports to skyscrapers. How are super-size buildings, such as Apple's future headquarters, shaped for the people who will use them?

I do hope that, maybe, Apple can provide some public tours of the new campus when the building is completed but before Apple employees move in.

*** Daily App: Shady Allows You To Dim Your Mac's Overly Bright Display ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/11/daily-app-shady-allows-you-to-dim-your-macs-overly-bright-disp/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> Shady is a handy OS X utility that sits in your menu bar and allows you to dim your Mac's screen beyond what is available is OS X. It's useful for Mac owners whose eyes are sensitive to light or for nighttime use when you don't want to light up the entire room with your Mac's overly bright screen.

*** Digital Hub 2.0 ***
<http://stratechery.com/2014/digital-hub-2-0/>
Ben Thompson, Stratechery

> A computing company that manages the entire stack around their device almost certainly has an advantage in this new services frontier.

The iPod was an accessory of the digital hub that is the Mac. Apple TV, after all these years, is mostly an accessory of the digital hub that is the iTunes. CarPlay is the first accessory to the digital hub that is the iPhone.

*** Xcode 5.1, iAd Producer 4.1.2 Released With Improved iOS 7.1 Compatibility ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/10/xcode-5-1-iad-producer-4-1-2-released-with-improved-ios-7-1-compatibility/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** iOS 7.1: The Changes We Love (And The Ones We Don’t) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2105786/ios-7-1-the-changes-we-love-and-the-ones-we-don-t.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Dan Moren, and Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** Apple's OS 7.1 Changes The Caps Lock Key Again ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/10/apples-os-7-1-changes-the-caps-lock-key-again/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

> The older version of the key went from grey to dark grey. The new version goes from grey to white.

*** Apple TV 6.1 And Remote 4.2 Bring Welcome Interface Improvements ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14582?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> The key improvement for end users is an easier method of hiding unwanted apps.

*** iOS 7.1 On The iPhone 4: As Good As It’s Going To Get ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/ios-7-1-on-the-iphone-4-as-good-as-its-going-to-get/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> If you're sticking with the iPhone 4 for another year, iOS 7.1 makes performance tolerable enough that using the phone isn't unbearable.

*** iOS 7.1 Released, Improves iPhone 5S Stability, iPhone 4 Speed, And More ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/ios-7-1-released-improves-iphone-5s-stability-iphone-4-speed-and-more/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> The update brings a whole pile of fixes. It addresses a crashing bug with the iPhone 5S, improves speed on the iPhone 4, introduces the new CarPlay feature, adds new accessibility options, and makes a handful of other refinements to the UI. The accuracy of the TouchID fingerprint scanner has also been improved for iPhone 5S users.

*** 'Back From The Brink' ***
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lloyd-i-sederer-md/mental-health-book-review_b_4915386.html>
Lloyd Sederer, The Huffington Post