[MyAppleMenu] Mar 14, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 14 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** OS X: Taking Better Screenshots On A Mac ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/mac-os-x/23657/os-x-taking-better-screenshots-mac>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

*** Contestants At Pwn2Own Take Down Safari, But Said OS X Security Is Better Than Other Systems ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/14/contestants-at-pwn2own-take-down-safari-but-said-os-x-security-is-better-than-other-systems/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Did You Know Mac OS X Helps You Optimize Your Home Wi-Fi Network? Here’s How It Works ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2014/03/13/better-wi-fi-statistics-analytics-built-right-mac-os-x/>
The Next Web

*** How To Manage The Menu Bar In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57620311-263/how-to-manage-the-menu-bar-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> The menu bar in OS X has some customization options, plus an easy fix when the menu bar hangs and prevents the clock or other menus from being accessible.

*** DeskConnect Review: Share Files, URLs, And More Between OS X And iOS ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2103425/deskconnect-review-share-files-urls-and-more-between-os-x-and-ios.html>
Dan Miller, Macworld

*** Seeing Eye-phone? App Helps Blind Know What They're Looking At ***
<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/seeing-eye-phone-app-helps-blind-know-what-theyre-looking-at/>
CBS News

> Colorado teenager Jake Cohen has a high-tech tool to help him regain some of the independence that he lost when he went blind two years ago.

> Jake uses an iPhone app to take photos of objects around the house. Within seconds TapTapSee tells Jake what the picture shows.

*** Catoosa’s Wells Middle School Named Apple Distinguished ***
<http://www.claremoreprogress.com/local/x787215467/Catoosa-s-Wells-Middle-School-named-Apple-Distinguished>
Mark Friedel, Claremore Daily Progress

*** In Praise Of The Mac Mini ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/in-praise-of-the-mac-mini/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> The Mac mini may be one of the best Macs Apple has ever made, because it just gets out of your way and lets you get to work.

*** TwitchTV 3.0 Features iOS 7 Redesign, Offline Channel Search And Improved Chat ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/03/twitchtv-3-0-features-ios-7-redesign-offline-channel-search-and-improved-chat>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** The Trouble With Troubleshooting iOS ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2107865/the-trouble-with-troubleshooting-ios.html#tk.rss_all>
Ted Landau, Macworld

> We are approaching the day when the need for end users to fiddle with the likes of Library folders will be as rare as the need to re-solder a logic board is today. As this future gets closer, traditional troubleshooting will increasingly become something we spy only through our rear view mirrors.

*** Boxcar 2 Updated With Account Registration, IFTTT Support And More Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/03/boxcar-2-updated-with-account-registration-ifttt-support-and-more-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Google Drops Prices On Drive Storage, Offers 1TB For $9.99 A Month ***
<http://www.imore.com/google-drops-prices-drive-storage-offers-1tb-999-month>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** Plex Introduces Camera Upload For iOS App ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/plex-introduces-camera-upload-for-ios-app/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Refinements, Additions, And Un-breaking Stuff: iOS 7.1 Reviewed ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/refinements-additions-and-un-breaking-stuff-ios-7-1-reviewed/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> iOS 7.1 isn't a drastic change, but it brings enough new design elements, performance improvements, and additional stability to the platform that it might just win over the remaining iOS 6 holdouts.

*** iOS 7.1 Includes Warning Message About 15-Minute In-App Purchase Window ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/12/ios-7-1-in-app-purchase-warning/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> When making an in-app purchase for the first time after updating, users are notified via a pop-up window that additional in-app purchases can be made for 15 minutes without reentering a password.

*** Recur App Helps You Manage Repetitive Tasks ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14589?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> I won’t pretend that using Recur is a major reward, but I do get a tiny sense of accomplishment when recording a task as done and seeing it leap to the top of the list. And when it comes to those chores you know you should do but have trouble mustering the enthusiasm for, any little boost helps.

*** Why I Was Banned From WATCH ABC And Hulu ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14586?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> As we shift from traditional TV to online video, will such problems become more commonplace?

*** Europe Embraces Common Charger Rules To End Mobile Compatibility Nightmare ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2107960/eu-mobile-devices-will-be-forced-to-use-common-charger.html>
Jennifer Baker, PCWorld

*** Elegy For A Country’s Seasons ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/apr/03/elegy-countrys-seasons/?_sm_au_=iVVMZf5HZw2j3QSP>
Zadie Smith, The New York Review Of Books

> There is the scientific and ideological language for what is happening to the weather, but there are hardly any intimate words. Is that surprising? People in mourning tend to use euphemism; likewise the guilty and ashamed. The most melancholy of all the euphemisms: “The new normal.” “It’s the new normal,” I think, as a beloved pear tree, half-drowned, loses its grip on the earth and falls over. The train line to Cornwall washes away—the new normal. We can’t even say the word “abnormal” to each other out loud: it reminds us of what came before. Better to forget what once was normal, the way season followed season, with a temperate charm only the poets appreciated.

*** A Passage From Hong Kong ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/apr/03/passage-hong-kong/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Maya Jasanoff, The New York Review Of Books