[MyAppleMenu] Mar 6, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 6 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** Why Mac Users Still Use OS X Snow Leopard ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/mac-os-x/23622/why-mac-users-still-use-os-x-snow-leopard>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

*** Apple Security Rules Leave Inherited iPad Useless, Say Sons ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26448158>
Natalie Donovan and Kevin Core, BBC

> A man whose mother bequeathed her iPad to her family in her will says Apple's security rules are too restrictive.

*** Judge Denies Apple Request To Ban Samsung Products ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304732804579422611078050886?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304732804579422611078050886.html>
Min-Jeong Lee, Wall Street Journal

*** Apple's CarPlay Draws Safety Criticism ***
<http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/05/technology/mobile/apple-carplay/>
James O'Toole, CNNMoney

> "We're very, very concerned about it," said David Teater, senior director at the nonprofit National Safety Council. "The auto industry and the consumer electronics industry are really in an arms race to see how we can enable drivers to do stuff other than driving."

*** CloudyTabs Puts iCloud Tabs In Your Mac’s Menu Bar ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/cloudytabs-puts-icloud-tabs-in-your-macs-menu-bar/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> The problem with iCloud Tabs is that they’re limited to Safari, so if you’re using Chrome or Firefox on OS X, you can’t access the tabs that you have open on your iPhone or iPad. For this reason, Josh Parnham has devised a simple and clever solution: CloudyTabs is a menu bar app that lists iCloud Tabs open on all your devices.

*** Textbooks Replaced By iTunes U Downloads ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26249041?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Sean Coughlan, BBC

> The Stephen Perse Foundation school is building a pathway that others could soon follow. It's clever and digital, but also practical and easily shared.

*** iTunes Tip: Use The Hidden iTunes Store Power Search ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes-tip-use-the-hidden-itunes-store-power-search/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Replace A Dying iPhone 5 Battery ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14571?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> I had to apply significant pressure, and when the clips finally released, I almost pulled the display’s cables out by force. That step, which hadn’t been required with the iPhone 4, was nerve-wracking.

*** Cracking The Apple Tax Code ***
<http://www.afr.com/p/technology/cracking_the_apple_tax_code_CvOq1Ut248VX6QkybMcfCP>
Neil Chenoweth, Financial Review

> “Now we have some numbers to say, ‘well, this is the amount they are avoiding paying tax, particularly in Australia’, perhaps we should be asking, ‘Should we do something about it?’ But Apple is only one of them doing this.”

> “Perhaps we need to go back to fundamentals and say that profits need to be taxed once – only once, but at least once.”

*** Gmail For iOS Updated With Background Refresh And Simplified Sign-in Across Other Google Apps ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/03/05/gmail-ios-updated-background-refresh-simplified-sign-across-maps-drive-chrome/#!yGjtE>
Nick Summers, The Next Web

> Google today updated its Gmail for iOS app with background refresh, which means that it will now fetch incoming mail automatically.

*** Apple Declares Retail Store Theft Is ‘Not A Priority’ ***
<http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2014/03/05/apple-declares-retail-store-theft-is-not-a-priority/>
IfoApplestore.com

> The world’s most valuable company isn’t worried that employees might be stealing Apple gear from their retail stores, and a security bag check that is the subject of a employee lawsuit is used inconsistently “at best.” What’s more, the company hasn’t audited the bag check program to determine if it’s effective at reducing employee theft, and considers loss prevention to be a low priority endeavor. That picture was painted by an employee designated by Apple to provide expert testimony in depositions taken earlier this year.

*** How To Make A Genius Bar Appointment On Your iPhone, iPad, Or Mac ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-make-genius-bar-appointment-your-iphone-ipad-or-mac>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Apple Support For Snow Leopard Wanes ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14568?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

*** 'Black Moon' Imagines A Sleepless American Nightmare ***
<http://www.npr.org/2014/03/06/285740456/-black-moon-imagines-a-sleepless-american-nightmare>
Jason Heller, NPR