[MyAppleMenu] Mar 5, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 5 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Go To History ***
<http://www.leancrew.com/all-this/2014/03/go-to-history/>
And Now It's All This

> The arguments for and against goto are part of a long tradition of programmers trying to figure out how to write code that’s easier to understand and more likely to be correct.

*** iTunes Radio: Poor Reception ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2103600/itunes-radio-poor-reception.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> For those of us who really care about music, it means a service that’s regrettably half-baked.

*** 2014'S Battle For Dashboard Supremacy: Apple's CarPlay Vs. Google's OAA Vs. MirrorLink ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57619829-48/2014s-battle-for-dashboard-supremacy-apples-carplay-vs-googles-oaa-vs-mirrorlink/>
Tim Stevens, CNET

> Cars have been getting smarter and smartphone connectivity is better than ever, but 2014 should be a quantum leap forward for smartphone connectivity. Join us as we look at the main contenders.

*** Mac OS X Vs Windows: 8 Reasons To Switch To Mac ***
<http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-software/21624/mac-os-x-vs-windows-8-reasons-to-switch-to-mac>
Khidr Suleman, IT Pro

*** Are Apple Computers As Good As They Think They Are? We Put One To The Test ***
<http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/367953/MacBook-Pro-review-Are-Apple-computers-as-good-as-they-think-they-are-We-find-out>
Dave Snelling, Daily Star

> It looks fabulous, is incredibly fast and has a never ending battery, but best of all, like the 1984 Macintosh, it's so simple to use.

> So are Apple computers as good as they think they are? The simple answer is YES!

*** Setting Up Custom Keyboard Shortcuts In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57619871-263/setting-up-custom-keyboard-shortcuts-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Ensure that a menu command is targeted by a custom keyboard shortcut even if two or more commands have the same name within a given application.

*** Review: The Three Best iPad Air Keyboard Cases ***
<http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Review+three+best+iPad+keyboard+cases/9578337/story.html>
Gadjo Cardenas Sevilla, Calgary Herald

> Keyboard cases incorporate a Bluetooth keyboard with a protective case that ensures the iPad is well protected. These cases can be used to prop up the iPad’s screen at an angle while typing, similar to the way laptop computers work.

*** WordPress (For iPad) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454470,00.asp>
Jeffrey L. Wilson, PC Magazine

> The free Wordpress iPad app lets users create new articles, add photos and video, schedule posts, and more while on the go. Numerous missing features keep it from being the complete WordPress experience, however.

*** WhatsApp Messenger (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454483,00.asp>
Max Eddy and Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> WhatsApp doesn't have all the features under the sun, but it delivers a quality experience on iOS with all the critical tools you need to cut out your texting plan.

*** Can Apple Help Make Hearing Aids Cool? ***
<http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/tech/innovation/apple-resound-hearing-aids/>
Heather Kelly, CNN

> People wait in long lines and even camp out to get their hands on new Apple devices as soon as they're available. But they drag their feet, sometimes for years, when it comes to purchasing another piece of technology that could greatly improve their lives: hearing aids.

> Hearing-aid manufacturers and audiologists hope a new collaboration between them and Apple will help.

*** Want To Block iMessage Contacts In OS X Mavericks? Here’s How. ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2014/03/04/block-imessage-contacts-os-x/>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

*** A Top Singapore School Finds New Way To Engage And Educate ***
<http://www.apple.com/education/real-stories/nanyang/?sr=hotnews.rss>
Apple

> Shy students speak up more in class and participate more readily in online discussions. Because iPad is so portable, the girls can collaborate anywhere on group assignments outside school hours. And academic researchers tasked with evaluating student interactions at Nanyang found that with iPad in the classroom, students ask questions that indicate greater comprehension and engagement.

*** Speaky For iOS Reads Any Text You Feed It ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/04/speaky-for-ios-reads-any-text-you-feed-it/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> Speaky is an interesting iOS app with a simple goal: paste in some text or give it a URL, and it will read it to you. Speaky works in the background, so you can be doing something else while a news article, story, or anything you can feed it gets read to you.

*** Real Racing 3 Update Brings Customization Support, Aston Martin Cars And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/03/real-racing-3-update-brings-customization-support-aston-martin-cars-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** PCalc 3 Review: Standout iOS Calculator Gains Programmability And Polish ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2092230/pcalc-3-review-standout-ios-calculator-gains-programmability-and-polish.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> Whether you’re performing serious scientific calculations, doing high-school physics homework, or just converting everyday measures, PCalc has the features and interface for you.

*** Prompting For App Reviews ***
<http://dancounsell.com/articles/prompting-for-app-reviews>
Dan Counsell

> I don't think customers would mind being asked to leave a review for an app they love and use daily if they were asked at the right time, but unfortunately that's usually not the case.

*** Best Twitter Apps For iPad: Twitterrific, Echofon Pro, HootSuite, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-twitter-apps-ipad-twitterrific-echofon-hootsuite-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** The Real Impact Of CarPlay: It's The Software, Dummy ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2104242/the-real-impact-of-carplay-its-the-software-dummy.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> That’s why CarPlay appeals to me: because it suggests that even as your car gets older, you won’t be stuck with an outdated chunk of electronics taking up a huge swath of your car’s dashboard.

*** Review: OmniFocus 2 For iPhone ***
<http://allthingsapple.me/omnifocus-review/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
All Things Apple

> I knew that there was a steep learning curve to this software, and I was willing to explore it over time, knowing that as my needs grow, this app could easily grow with me. It was a conscious decision made up front with a significant energy and time investment that paid of dividends after 3 months of fidgeting, and continued to grow as I fully explored the software.

*** After Initial Rejection, Cryptocat Finally Launches On iOS ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/4/5470454/after-initial-rejection-cryptocat-finally-launches-on-ios>
Russell Brandom, The Verge

> The encrypted chat app Cryptocat is launching today for iOS, after an initial rejection in December. Previously available as a desktop app and browser plugin, the program uses the OTR model to offer strong encryption and forward secrecy for text conversations, with servers held in a Swedish nuclear bunker to protect them from government intrusion.

*** Facebook’s Small Paper Update Makes Sharing Simple ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2104460/facebook-s-small-paper-update-makes-sharing-simple.html#tk.rss_all>
Caitlin McGarry, TechHive

*** Hands-on With Apple's CarPlay: When Siri Met Ferrari ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/04/apple-carplay-ferrari-ff-hands-on/>
Matt Brian, Engadget

*** Zombie Studies Gain Ground On College Campuses ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304851104579361451951384512?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304851104579361451951384512.html>
Erica E> Phillips, Wall Street Journal

> Kyle Bishop figured it was risky when he applied to a University of Arizona Ph.D. program in English eight years ago by proposing a dissertation on zombie movies.

> He was dead wrong.

*** Ramen’s Big Splash ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/dining/ramens-big-splash.html?ref=dining>
Pete Wells, New York Times

> The first rule of the serious ramen hunter: look everywhere, even in places that don’t look like ramen shops. This is how, in January, I found myself inhaling noodles at a cluster of tables shoved into the center of a bagel shop in Long Island City, Queens.

*** Project Flame ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/03/before_okcupid_and_match_com_there_was_project_flame_what_happened_when.html>
Ted Sutton, Slate

> In 1966, I started one of the world’s first computer dating services. One problem: I had no computer.

*** Book Review: Season To Taste Or How To Eat Your Husband By Natalie Young ***
<http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/book-review-season-to-taste-or-how-to-eat-your-husband-by-natalie-young-9169114.html>
Leyla Sanai, The Independent

> What do you do with a husband who says that the cakes you’re baking for your new business are “fundamentally poor owing to a lack of imagination in their creator”? Well, if you’re Lizzie Prain, 53-year-old heroine of Natalie Young’s new book, you whack him across the back of the head with a spade, axe him up, butcher his body, and then eat it in various recipes.

*** The Sound Of Difference ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article03041401.aspx>
Bernd Brunner, The Smart Set

> Why we find some languages more beautiful than others.

*** My Character To Kill ***
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/03/my-character-to-kill/?_php=true&_type=blogs&smid=tw-share&_r=0>
Alex Berenson, New York Times