[MyAppleMenu] Mar 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 4 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Dragon Dictate 4 Released Today With New Features And Speed Enhancements ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/04/dragon-dictate-4-released-today-with-new-features-and-speed-enha/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer Retiring After 18 Years ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/4/5454728/peter-oppenheimer-apple-cfo-retiring>
Jacob Kastrenakes, The Verge

> Apple's chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer will retire at the end of September, after 18 years at the company. Luca Maestri, Apple's vice president of finance, will become his successor. The role will begin to transition to Maestri in June. "Luca has over 25 years of global experience in senior financial management, including roles as a public company CFO, and I am confident he will be a great CFO at Apple," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement.

*** Manage Grayed Out 'Move To Trash' Option In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57619767-263/manage-grayed-out-move-to-trash-option-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

*** 'PasswordBox': Versatile, Free Password Manager ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/03/03/password-box-app-review/5834409/>
Marc Saltzman, USA Today

> This app is one of the rare few that not only gets it right, but goes above and beyond by including many smart features. Especially considering the core functionality is absolutely free, it is a "must have" app in the digital age.

*** France Becomes Third Country To Offer Apple’s iPhone Trade-In Program ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2014/03/03/france-becomes-third-country-offer-apples-iphone-trade-program/>
Toby Wellington, Macgasm

*** How To Turn Off The New Mail Alert Sound In iOS ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/03/03/turn-off-new-mail-alert-sound-ios/>
OS X Daily

*** Instapaper Updates iOS App With AirPlay Support And More ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/03/instapaper-updates-ios-app-with-airplay-support-and-more/?ncid=rss_truncated>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> Instapaper is already a solid way to save videos for future watching, but thanks to this iOS update Apple TV owners will no longer be stuck the brutal frustration of watching their clipped videos on a tiny phone screen.

*** Microsoft Wants Xbox Live To Power Android And iOS Games ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/3/5465250/xbox-live-android-ios-cross-platform-games>
Tom Warren, The Verge

> Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell <i>The Verge</i> that Microsoft is building a platform to extend Xbox Live functionality to iOS and Android games.

*** Stop Defending The Humanities ***
<http://www.publicbooks.org/nonfiction/stop-defending-the-humanities>
Simon During, Public Books

> It turns out that the humanities’ defensive accounts of themselves have some rather curious features. In particular, they tend to pass quickly over what we tacitly know about them as a matter of fact, turning instead to the sermonic. And in insisting on the humanities’ value for society and culture as a whole, these accounts routinely fail to confront their own interest in making this case.

*** ‘The Weirdness’ By Jeremy Bushnell ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/03/04/book-review-the-weirdness-jeremy-bushnell/RIsMW5sTAH4zHhSATZG72J/story.html>
Eugenia Williamson, The Boston Globe