[MyAppleMenu] Mar 3, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 3 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** Don’t Expect To Use Google Maps With Apple CarPlay ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/03/dont-expect-to-use-google-maps-with-apple-carplay/>
Matt Burns, TechCrunch

> CarPlay only grants access to select applications installed on the connected phone. At launch, CarPlay only works with Spotify, Beats Radio, iHeartRadio, and Stitcher. Sorry, Rdio fans.

*** How To Disable Curly Quotes In Mac OS X Mavericks ***
<http://www.iclarified.com/38772/how-to-disable-curly-quotes-in-mac-os-x-mavericks>
IClarified

*** Game Review: ‘The Room’s’ Creepy Atmosphere, Clever Puzzles Draw You In ***
<http://tdn.com/lifestyles/game-review-the-room-s-creepy-atmosphere-clever-puzzles-draw/article_ba7858b0-a28c-11e3-9378-0019bb2963f4.html>
Dominic Baez, TDN.com

*** Hands-on: FiftyThree Pencil Review ***
<http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127300-hands-on-fiftythree-pencil-review>
Stuart Miles, Pocket-lint

> At first glance, the Pencil does come across as being expensive, but with a simple charging mechanism, and the ability to be able to draw on the iPad while resting your hand on the screen, if you are a Paper by FiftyThree user, this is a no brainer, if you are looking to maximise your potential.

*** Social-Adverse Apple Debuts Tumblr Campaign ***
<http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/social-adverse-apple-debuts-tumblr-campaign-156053>
Christopher Heine, Adweek

> The spots pitch the five-month-old iPhone 5C, featuring the product's colorful look and accessories. The campaign tagline: "Every color has a story."

*** Top Choice: Our Favorite Mac Mail Clients ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2099441/top-choice-our-favorite-mac-mail-clients.html#tk.rss_all>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> We’ve found one strong program that offers a great mix of features, usability, and value for a broad swath of users, plus several more that will cater well to more specialized preferences.

*** Apple CarPlay Debuts With Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz And Volvo ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/03/apple-carplay-ferrari-mercedes-benz-volvo>
Stuart Dredge, The Guardian

> Apple’s Siri virtual assistant technology is key to the initiative, acting as the interface for drivers to access their contacts, make calls and listen to voicemails, while also reading out messages and responding to voice commands.

> Apple’s Maps service will be a key feature in CarPlay too, with routes shown on the car’s own screen, and spoken turn-by-turn directions. Digital music is also part of CarPlay, but it is not an iTunes-only affair, with Spotify and US service iHeartRadio among the third-party apps that will work with it.

*** Laying Out iOS UIs In Code ***
<http://harlanhaskins.com/2014/03/02/laying-out-ios-uis-in-code.html>
Harlan Haskins

> For about a year, I've been laying out all of my UIs purely in code. The benefits are tremendous.

*** How To Change A Game Center Nickname From The iPhone & iPad ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/03/02/change-game-center-nickname-ios/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

*** After The Poisoning ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2014/03/yiyun_li_s_novel_kinder_than_solitude_reviewed.html>
Marian Ryan, Slate

> An unconsoling novel of four Chinese teens and the incident that changes their lives.

*** Bitcoin Is As Good As Gold. That’s Bad. ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/03/03/mt_gox_collapse_bitcoin_is_as_good_as_gold_and_that_s_bad.html>
Richard S. Grossman, Slate