[MyAppleMenu] Jun 24, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 24 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Phase One Capture One Express 7 ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459853,00.asp>
Michael Muchmore, PC Magazine

> Capture One, available in Pro ($299) and Express ($99) flavors, offers digital photo import, camera raw file conversion, adjustment, and organization.

*** TripCase (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459921,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> The TripCase iPhone app (free), which is the focus of this review, presents you with a clear overview of your trip listed in chronological order, with flight information, hotel addresses, car rental reservation numbers, and more—but not too much more. It cuts the junk from those confirmation emails to show you only what's pertinent.

*** Mid-2014 iMac Review: Lower Price, Way Lower Performance ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2366940/mid-2014-imac-review-lower-price-way-lower-performance.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

> The big question: Is a 15 percent lower price worth 50 percent lower performance?

*** How To Remote Access A Mac From An iPad For Free ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/this-is-how-you-remote-access-mac-from-ipad-for-free-3526694/>
Lou Hattersley, Macworld UK

> The best way to remote access a Mac from an iPad for free is to use a program called TeamViewer. Here is how to set up and start using TeamViewer for Mac.

*** How To Set Up A Complete Backup Strategy For Your Mac: Time Machine, Cloning, And The Cloud! ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-set-complete-backup-strategy-your-mac-time-machine-cloning-and-cloud>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Box Brings Box Notes To Its iOS Apps ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2365806/box-brings-box-notes-to-its-ios-mobile-apps.html#tk.rss_all>
Tony Bradley, Macworld

> The underlying concept of Box Notes is not unique. Popular tools like Evernote and OneNote accomplish the same goal. But what sets Box Notes apart for businesses that rely on Box for file storage and sharing, is the fact that it's tied in to the same security controls, file sharing permissions, and data encryption as the rest of the data they store and manage in Box.

*** Stepping Out ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/06/30/140630fa_fact_sedaris>
David Sedaris, New Yorker

> Living the Fitbit life.

*** Don’t Call Him The Walt Disney Of Japan: How Animator Hayao Miyazaki Became A Cultural Icon By Doing Everything Pixar Doesn’t ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/06/23/dont_call_him_the_walt_disney_of_japan_how_animator_hayao_miyazaki_became_a_cultural_icon_by_doing_everything_pixar_doesnt/>
Samuel Sattin, Salon

> Miyazaki built an empire on rejecting fancy special effects, embracing darkness and ignoring the mainstream.

*** ‘Problems With People’ By David Guterson ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/06/23/book-review-problems-with-people-david-guterson/DyT6H9IAhw7pGT90ON413L/story.html>
Joseph Peschel, The Boston Globe

> Predominantly populated with unnamed, middle-age central characters, the stories in David Guterson’s second collection portray men and women who experience some sort of people problem.

*** A Sunken Kingdom Re-emerges ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/science/a-sunken-kingdom-re-emerges.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Katrin Bennhold, New York Times

> “We used to think of this as just as an impenetrable forest — actually this was a complex human environment,” said Martin Bates, a geoarchaeologist at the University of Wales Trinity St. David, who oversees the excavation work in Borth on a beach he played on as a toddler. “The floods have opened our eyes as to what’s really out there.”

*** My Startup Failed, And This Is What It Feels Like… ***
<https://medium.com/@nikkidurkin99/my-startup-failed-and-this-is-what-it-feels-like-c5d64b3ae96b>
Nikki Durkin, Medium