[MyAppleMenu] Jun 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 25 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Fitbit Adds Real-time Running Stats ***
<http://www.imore.com/fitbit-adds-real-time-running-stats>
John Callaham, iMore

> A new update for the iOS Fitbit app was released today, adding new features such as MobileRun, which allows users to track their route and pace while walking or running.

*** How A Small Stock Photo Startup Plans To Revolutionize The Agency model ***
<http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/snapwire-revolutionizes-stock-photo-agency/#!3GQ0u>
Les Shu, Digital Trends

> Snapwire is the stock photo agency for the Instagram and mobile generation. As Newell, Snapwire’s founder and CEO, puts it, Snapwire gives mobile photographers a great way to succeed in doing what they love, “because there are so many talented photographers that sort of dream about building a life around photography.” It takes a stock agency approach to licensing images, but it changes the formula, in that photographers get 70 percent of the cut and retains all rights.

*** Breather (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459992,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> The app, which is free to download, gives you access to the Breather network of small, private offices that you can rent by the half hour from CD$15 in Montreal and US$20 to $25 in New York. It's currently only available in those two locations, though representatives from the company say they plan to expand to at least one other U.S. city.

*** Angela Ahrendts Finally Speaks At Apple, And It Is Not What You Expect ***
<http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/25/angela-ahrendts-finally-speaks-at-apple/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0>
Vanessa Friedman, New York Times

> O.K., that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Angela Ahrendts, the former Burberry chief executive lured away to revitalize Apple retail and e-tail did not exactly speak — she wrote a diary entry-cum-inspirational post about her new job, titled “Starting Anew,” on LinkedIn.

*** First Look: Apple's Swift Is Simple, At First ***
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/first-look-apples-swift-simple-first-245009>
Peter Wayner, InfoWorld

> Swift's clean and modern syntax makes it quick and easy to get started, but mastering this new language will take a while.

*** How To Create Location-based Reminders With Siri ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-create-location-based-reminders-siri>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Apple TV Adds ABC News, AOL On, PBS Kids, Willow TV, And Redesigned Flickr App ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/24/apple-tv-adds-abc-news-aol-on-pbs-kids-willow-tv-and-redesigned-flickr-app/>
Jodran Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** iWork For iCloud Updated With Several Improvements Across The Board ***
<http://www.imore.com/iwork-icloud-updated-several-improvements-across-board>
Chris Parsons, iMore

*** Apple Adds MLB.com At Bat To CarPlay App List ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-adds-mlbcom-bat-carplay-app-list>
John Callaham, iMore

*** One Fish, Three Meals: Paul Greenberg Makes The Case For Americans To Get Hip To Seafood ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/one-fish-three-meals-paul-greenberg-makes-the-case-for-americans-to-get-hip-to-seafood/2014/06/20/81621532-f725-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html>
Jane Black, Washington Post

> Author Paul Greenberg was standing in his Manhattan kitchen, cleaver in hand. He had already fluidly removed two fillets from a gleaming red snapper, shipped overnight from the Gulf of Mexico. Now it was time to take off the head, which he would use to make a spicy Korean soup. “This,” he said with a laugh, “is where it gets gnarly.” Then with a swift chop he severed the fish’s head from its body.

*** Citizen Bezos ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/jul/10/citizen-bezos-amazon/>
Steve Coll, The New York Review Of Books

> As Stone notes, “Amazon is a masterly navigator of the law.” And crucially, as in so many other fields of economic policy, antitrust law has been reshaped in recent decades by the spread of free-market fundamentalism. Judges and legislators have reinterpreted antitrust law to emphasize above all the promotion of low prices for consumers, which Amazon delivers, rather than the interests of producers—whether these are authors, book publishers, or mom-and-pop grocery stores—that are threatened by giants.

*** Ebooks V Paper ***
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/53d3096a-f792-11e3-90fa-00144feabdc0.html#axzz35aHbiOmj>
Julian Baggini, Financial Times

> Which do our brains prefer? Research is forcing us to rethink how we respond to the written word.

*** The Beltway Myth ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/jun/24/beltway-myth/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Elizabeth Drew, The New York Review Of Books