[MyAppleMenu] Jun 21, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 21 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** As Weather Channel Blows Yahoo Off Apple’s Upcoming iOS 8, App Storms Ahead For Mayer ***
<http://recode.net/2014/06/20/as-weather-channel-blows-yahoo-off-apples-upcoming-ios-8-app-storms-ahead-for-mayer/>
Kara Swisher, Re/code

> As Mayer has often said — and quite correctly — mobile growth and innovation is key to Yahoo. But as the weather kerfuffle shows, it’s just a lot harder to execute than declare.

*** The Music Industry Is Still Screwed: Why Spotify, Amazon And iTunes Can’t Save Musical Artists ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/06/20/the_music_industry_is_still_screwed_why_spotify_amazon_and_itunes_cant_save_musical_artists/>
Andrew Leonard, Salon

> What if the future of streaming music is a bust?

*** Microsoft To Retire Old Versions Of Skype -- Mac Users Should Be Worried ***
<http://betanews.com/2014/06/20/microsoft-to-retire-old-versions-of-skype-mac-users-should-be-worried/>
Brian Fagioli, Beta News

*** Adobe Photoshop Mix Review: Not Just Another iPad Photo App ***
<http://thenextweb.com/creativity/2014/06/21/adobe-photoshop-mix-just-another-ipad-imaging-app/>
Jackie Dove, The Next Web

> As a 1.0 product, Adobe Photoshop Mix makes a respectable debut out of the gate. But to live up to the Photoshop title, I expect that future versions will have even more capabilities.

*** Is Apple’s CloudKit Open And Flexible Enough For The Enterprise? ***
<http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/20/is-apples-cloudkit-open-and-flexible-enough-for-the-enterprise/>
Cathal McGloin, VentureBeat

> The kit is somewhat shy of the flexibility and scalability required for the large enterprise development projects of today’s mobile-first organizations.

*** FunBITS: SimCity 4 Returns To The Mac ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14856?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Why would you want to play an 11-year-old game in the first place? SimCity 4 was too far ahead of its time when Maxis released it in 2003. It required resources that just didn’t exist then, and even my 2008-era powerhouse gaming PC had trouble running it. Now, in 2014, we finally have the hardware necessary to run the game smoothly.

*** The Wordy Shipmate ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/books/review/geoff-dyers-another-great-day-at-sea-the-colour-of-memory-and-the-search.html?ref=books>
Clancy Martin, New York Times

> This is what I love about Geoff Dyer’s work: His feet are never on the ground. But where his younger narrators fight the feeling that they don’t belong, the grown-up Dyer embraces it.

*** The Living And The Undead ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/books/review/the-quick-by-lauren-owen.html?ref=books&_r=0>
Andrew Sean Greer, New York Times

> Reading the blurbs on the dust jacket of Lauren Owen’s first novel — from such luminaries as Kate Atkinson, Hilary Mantel and Tana French — readers might think they’re about to embark on a highhanded version of the Gothic novel, full of metafictions and literary allusions. These do appear, along with some beautiful language, but by Page 100, when the first neck is about to be bitten, “The Quick” drops its cloak and becomes a good old-fashioned vampire novel.

*** Into The Trees By Robert Williams – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/21/into-the-woods-robert-williams-review>
Sarah Moss, The Guardian

> Literary merit is more a matter of taste, but one could wish the writing more polished, not only to avoid the jolt of persistent grammatical errors, but because of heavy-handedness at moments of tension: "Feelings of anxiety and stress immediately flooded his heart." The pleasures here lie in the skilful characterisation of three men who don't look like anyone's hero.

*** A Poem ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/jul/10/poem-nothingness-unseamed-itself/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Wislawa Szymborska, The New York Review Of Books

*** Book Review: 'Indonesia Etc.' By Elizabeth Pisani ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/book-review-indonesia-etc-by-elizabeth-pisani-1403292666>
Simon Winchester, Wall Street Journal