[MyAppleMenu] Jul 27, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 27 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How-to: Use Spotlight And Smart Folders To Search For Anything On Your Mac ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/27/how-to-use-spotlight-and-smart-folders-to-search-for-anything-your-mac/>
Whitney Marks, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Adobe Releases Two Experimental iPhone Apps Powered By Photoshop ***
<http://www.fastcodesign.com/3033397/adobe-releases-its-first-two-iphone-apps-powered-by-photoshop>
Mark Wilson, Co.Design

> Adobe is calling the apps “experiments”--more proofs-of-concept than consumer products. Even still, I could imagine using Fixel as an extension inside a larger app like Instagram. Photoshop could find its way into apps without us even ever realizing it.

*** TextWrangler: The Must-have Free Text Editor For Mac! ***
<http://www.imore.com/hidden-mac-gems-textwrangler>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> Whether you're looking for a no-nonsense text input system or are looking for something to do transformations to big chunks of text-based data, a text editor fits the bill like nothing else. Bare Bones Software makes a terrific one called TextWrangler that ought to be a part of every discriminating Mac user's app arsenal. What's more, it's absolutely free.

*** The Muslims Of Tromsø: Ramadan In The Land Of The Midnight Sun ***
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/challenges-of-celebrating-ramadan-in-places-where-sun-never-sets-a-982101.html>
Denis betzholz, Spiegel

> During Ramadan, Muslims fast until the sun goes down. But what if you live in a place where there is no sunset? The believers in Tromsø, Norway spent years searching for a solution to that conundrum. Now that they have found one, new problems have arisen.

*** The Dream Of Invisibility ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/26/the-dream-of-inivisbility>
Philip Ball, The Guardian

> In a single sentence Plato tells us what many subsequent stories of invisibility would reiterate at length about the desires that the dream of invisibility feeds: they are about sex, wealth and death.

*** Why Do Americans Stink At Math? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html?_r=0>
Elizabeth Green, New York Times

> The Americans might have invented the world’s best methods for teaching math to children, but it was difficult to find anyone actually using them.

*** What Do Chinese Dumplings Have To Do With Global Warming? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/what-do-chinese-dumplings-have-to-do-with-global-warming.html?_r=0>
Nicola Twilley, New York Times