[MyAppleMenu] Jul 28, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 28 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Prepare For A Mac Disaster ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2457721/how-to-prepare-for-a-mac-disaster.html#tk.rss_all>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> No one likes to think about disasters such as burglary, earthquake, fire, the zombie apocalypse, or other catastrophes that could potentially wipe out your Mac, your other gadgets, and perhaps even your entire home or office. But these things do happen (with the possible exception of the zombies), and despite your best efforts, you might not be able to prevent the loss. You can, however, minimize the damage and inconvenience you’ll suffer—and speed your recovery—by making sure you’ve taken a number of commonsense steps to prepare for misfortune ahead of time.

*** Staff Picks: Revolution 60 Is The Most Ambitious iOS Game You'll Play This Year ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2458054/staff-picks-revolution-60-is-the-most-ambitious-ios-game-youll-play-this-year.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> Giant Spacekat’s game captures everything I love about action/adventure films, classic sci-fi, and good storytelling—and puts it on display through a smart series of choices, reactions, events, and combat sequences.

*** Listen Up, America: It’s Time To Starting Making Mass Transit Free! ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/07/27/listen_up_america_its_time_to_starting_making_mass_transit_free/>
Henry Grabar, Salon

> A free ride policy represents the culmination of a long shift from thinking of transit as a business sector — one that was quite profitable in its heyday — to considering it an indispensable public service.

*** The Return Of The Desktop Productivity App ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/27/the-return-of-the-desktop-productivity-app/>
Ryan Lawler, TechCrunch

> As connections between desktop, web, and mobile development platforms continue to converge, we’re likely to see even more mobile developers bringing their applications to the desktop. And those apps will continue to get more useful, the more screens that they’re available on.

*** William Gibson: The Man Who Saw Tomorrow ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/28/william-gibson-neuromancer-cyberpunk-books>
Ed Cumming, The Guardian

> Prescience can be tedious for science-fiction writers. Being proven right about a piece of technology or a trend distracts from the main aim of the work: to show us how we live now. William Gibson knows this as well as anyone. Since the late 70s, the American-born novelist has been pulling at the loose threads of our culture to imagine what will come out. He has been right about a great deal, but mainly about the shape of the internet and how it filters down to the lowest strata of society.

*** Thinking Of You ***
<http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014/07/17/thinking-of-you/>
Sadie Stein, The Paris Review

> Perhaps that is the point, after all. Maybe I can re-animate those adventures. Maybe, sometimes, “Wish You Were Here” is actually enough.

*** Big Week ***
<http://www.theparisreview.org/fiction/6315/big-week-zadie-smith>
Zadie Smith, The Paris Review

*** Not Nothing ***