[MyAppleMenu] Jul 26, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 26 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple Secretly Acquired “Pandora For Books” Startup BookLamp To Battle Amazon ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/25/apple-booklamp/>
Josh Constine, TechCrunch

> BookLamp’s most well-known product was the Book Genome Project, a platform that let users find suggestions for books to read based on natural language analysis of other titles. BookLamp’s tech and talent could help Apple improve its iBooks service with better recommendations, search, and categorization.

*** Who At The Table Is An Indie iOS Developer? ***
<http://inessential.com/2014/07/25/who_at_the_table_is_an_indie_ios_develop>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

*** Swift Sequences And Lazy Evaluation ***
<http://www.scottlogic.com/blog/2014/06/26/swift-sequences.html>
Colin Eberhardt, Scott Logic

> In this blog post I want to take a quick look at the Swift Sequence protocol, which forms the basis for the for-in loop, and see how this allows you to write code that performs sequence operations that are only evaluated on-demand.

*** Prized But Perilous Catch ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/sports/in-hunt-for-red-abalone-divers-face-risks-and-poachers-face-the-law.html?_r=0>
John Branch, New York Times

> Every year, as steady as the tides, lifeless bodies are pulled from the cold, restless water along the rugged coastline north of San Francisco.
> Most of the victims are middle-aged men. They wear black wet suits, usually hooded. They are often found in small coves framed by crescents of jagged rocks. An abandoned float tube sometimes bobs about nearby. Almost without exception, the victims are found wearing weighted belts that help them sink.
> The bodies are those of abalone divers.

*** Where Restaurant Reservations Come From ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/where-restaurant-reservations-come-from/374919/>
Alexis C. Madrigal, The Atlantic