[MyAppleMenu] Jul 23, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 23 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple Tech Note Illuminates Purported 'Backdoor' Services ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2455697/apple-tech-note-illuminates-purported-backdoor-services.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Just a couple days after a security researcher alleged that iOS contained “backdoor” access to user information, Apple has posted a knowledge base article explaining many of the systems that were under scrutiny.

*** OS X Yosemite Public Beta To Be Released July 24 ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/07/23/os-x-yosemite-public-beta-to-be-released-july-24/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> The public beta version of OS X Yosemite is the same version released to developers on Monday, so to start off, consumers and developers will be running the same software. However, the developer version of Yosemite will be updated more often over the next few months than the public beta version. This is so developers can continue to test their software with the latest operating system available. Consumers really don’t need updates that frequently.

*** Walk This Way: 6 Pedometer Apps For iPhone ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2456103/walk-this-way-6-pedometer-apps-for-iphone.html#tk.rss_all>
Amber Bouman, TechHive

> Moves' potential data sharing pushed me back to using Breeze—something I was more than happy to do, because I like both its functionality and design. Walker offers a lot of data, but Breeze organizes it better. The other apps either didn’t offer enough functionality (Pedometer for M7, Stepz) or focused on features that weren’t as important to me (Pacer’s plans and groups).

*** Apple Faces Class-Action Lawsuit In California Over Alleged Labor Violations Affecting 20K Employees ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/22/apple-faces-class-action-suit-affecting-20000-employees-over-pay-violations/>
Ingrid Lunden, TechCrunch

> The company is being sued in a class-action suit over a series of alleged violations of the California Labor Code, including the “timely” granting of meal and rest breaks as well as final paychecks. The case potentially affects some 20,000 current and former Apple employees in the state, the plaintiffs say.

*** New MacBook Air Commercial: ‘Stickers’ ***
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/07/22/stickers>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> In the old days Apple didn’t have to worry about conformance. Just owning a Mac made you stand out from the crowd. But what happens now, when everyone you know has a MacBook, and every MacBook looks the same?

*** Some Brief Thoughts About Apple’s MacBook Air ‘Stickers’ Ad ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/22/some-brief-thoughts-about-apples-macbook-air-stickers-ad/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

> Bangs and dents mean these things get used. It emphasizes the reliability of the MacBook Air by showing that some of them have scuffs and scrapes. It’s rare in that it shows Apple products in a non-retail-box condition.

*** Apple Reports Strong iPhone Sales ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-reports-strong-iphone-sales-1406061049>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> The Cupertino, Calif., company said it sold 35.2 million iPhones in the quarter ended June 28, up 12.7% from the 31.2 million units in the year-ago period. The latest figure was just shy of analysts' projections for sales of 35.9 million iPhones.
> However, sales of iPads dropped 9.2%, the second consecutive drop, suggesting that tablets are maturing and getting squeezed between more portable smartphones and more powerful computers. Mac computer sales, meanwhile, continued to show strength.

*** The Secret Of Minecraft ***
<https://medium.com/message/the-secret-of-minecraft-97dfacb05a3c>
Robin Sloan, Medium