[MyAppleMenu] Jul 22, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 22 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** ITbits: Putting IBM MobileFirst In (Apple’s Enterprise) Context ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14932?rss>
Andrew Laurence, TidBITS

> As a member of the slim MacIT population, I have long wished Apple would do a better and bolder job of telling the story of its enterprise-friendly technologies, and the many excellent supporting options. Fortunately, IBM excels at that.

*** “Alive Inside” Film Explores Power Of Music To Restore Memory ***
<http://recode.net/2014/07/19/alive-inside-film-documents-power-of-music-to-restore-memory-ipods-included/>
Dawn Chmielewski, Re/code

> “Alive Inside” follows social worker Dan Cohen, whose nonprofit Music & Memory organization works to bring iPods loaded with personalized playlists to elderly Alzheimer’s and dementia patients.

*** Apple Issues MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/07/21/apple-issues-efi-firmware-update/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> If you have a MacBook Air and are experiencing long pauses when waking from sleep, or if you find your system fans are regularly blaring after waking from sleep, then Apple has a fix in the form of an EFI firmware update, that should hopefully clear the issue.

*** Apple's New Ad Proclaims The MacBook Air Is 'The Notebook People Love' ***
<http://www.imore.com/apples-new-ad-proclaims-macbook-air-notebook-people-love>
Chris Parsons, iMore

> The ad itself is rather simple and just flashes through a bunch of MacBook Air lids all decked out in stickers ranging from the Beats logos, Snow White, Homer Simpson and various other pop culture characters, logos and symbols. A sight that's no doubt familiar to many readers out there.

Apple is going to start selling stickers at its Apple Stores? (Or have they already?)

*** Apple Denies It Included 'Backdoor' Services In iOS ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/07/22/apple-denies-it-included-backdoor-services-in-ios/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> "As we have said before, Apple has never worked with any government agency from any country to create a backdoor in any of our products of services."

*** Apple's iOS 'Dishing Out A Lot Of Data Behind Our Backs,' Security Researcher Charges ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/21/apples-ios-dishing-out-a-lot-of-data-behind-our-backs-security-researcher-charges>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

> Noted forensic scientist and iOS hacker Jonathan Zdziarski has uncovered a number of undocumented "backdoor" services in Apple's mobile operating system that he argues could be exploited by law enforcement agencies, the NSA, or other malicious actors to bypass encryption and siphon sensitive personal data from iOS devices.

*** Netflix Update On Apple TV Makes It Easier To Binge-watch Your Favorite TV Series ***
<http://www.imore.com/netflix-apple-tv-makes-it-easy-binge-watch-your-favorite-tv-series>
Huong H Nguyen, iMore

> Through the new update, Apple TV's version of Netflix will now show and auto-play the next episode when the credits for TV shows appear.

*** Cognitive Celebrity ***
<http://aeon.co/magazine/nature-and-cosmos/why-is-einstein-the-poster-boy-for-genius/>
Matthew Francis, Aeon

> Albert Einstein was a genius, but he wasn’t the only one – why has his name come to mean something superhuman?

*** The Journalist And The Suicide ***
<http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/the-journalist-and-the-suicide/>
Jesse Barron, The New Inquiry