[MyAppleMenu] Jul 24, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 24 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Five Retail Rules Flagrantly Violated By The Apple Store ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-22/five-retail-rules-flagrantly-violated-by-the-apple-store?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Belinda Lanks, Bloomberg Businessweek

*** Access Control ***
<https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=5>
Swift Blog

> In Xcode 6 beta 4, Swift adds support for access control. This gives you complete control over what part of the code is accessible within a single file, available across your project, or made public as API for anyone that imports your framework.

*** I Searched For All 71 Of The Stickers In Apple's New Ad So You Don't Have To ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/07/23/i-searched-for-all-71-of-the-stickers-in-apples-new-ad-so-you-d>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> If you saw something you liked on that fast-moving ad, you're in luck because I did the legwork of searching for every funky sticker that made an appearance. Well, ok, not every sticker -- I ignored the section of the ad with the generic music stickers -- but every sticker you probably care about. All 71 of them.

*** Now You Taste It, Now You Don’t ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/23/dining/now-you-taste-it-now-you-dont.html?ref=dining>
Julie Scelfo, New York Times

> There are many good reasons why restaurants cast off their classics: Chefs tire of making the same things over and over. Costs rise. Banh mi (or crudo or kale) go in, then out of fashion. But diners like me, left with nothing but memories and longing, often have a hard time letting go.

*** Post-its, Push Pins, Pencils ***
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n15/jenny-diski/post-its-push-pins-pencils>
Jenny Diski, London Review Of Books

> The subtitle of Nikil Saval’s book is curiously inapt. <i>Cubed</i> is not a ‘secret history of the workplace’, but the not (entirely) secret history of a very particular kind of workplace. The main title is intended to pull that particular workplace into focus, I suppose, to narrow the vast number of possible workplaces down to a single square box (or latterly a three-walled lidless box) that will inevitably bring to mind the environment of the white-collar pen-pusher, although it has been a very long time since office workers reliably wore white collars or pushed pens to fulfil their duties. But even if we allow ‘the workplace’ to stand for ‘the office’, ‘the history of a secret workplace’ would have been a more accurate subtitle. What happens there? People can be said to ‘work in an office’ and no further explanation is required, but there’s no real clue to what they do, unlike people who work in other places, who make things in a factory, mine in a mine,
  teach in a school, sell things in a shop. What are the millions of children who since the late 19th century have increasingly been told that one (or both) of their parents is ‘at the office’ to understand by that? At least that nothing is made, mined, taught or sold.