[MyAppleMenu] Jan 22, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 22 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Kayak PRO (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429743,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

*** Apple Has 10 Percent Of America's Corporate Cash ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/01/22/apple_s_corporate_cash_10_percent_of_the_american_total.html>
Matthew Yglesias, Slate

*** BYOD? Leaving A Job Can Mean Losing Pictures Of Grandma ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304027204579335033824665964?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304027204579335033824665964.html>
Lauren Weber, Wall Street Journal

> As more companies allow and even encourage employees to use their own phones and tablets for work activities, often referred to as "bring your own device," or BYOD, an unexpected consequence has arisen for workers who have seen their devices wiped clean—remotely and with little or no advance warning—during or after employment by firms looking to secure their data. Twenty-one percent of companies perform remote wipes when an employee quits or is terminated, according to a July 2013 survey by data protection firm Acronis Inc.

*** $450K Panel Of Glass At Apple’s Iconic 5Th Avenue ‘Cube’ Store Shattered By Snowblower ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/21/450k-panel-of-glass-at-apples-iconic-5th-avenue-cube-store-shattered-by-snowblower/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Adobe Reader Updated With New iOS 7-Style Design Plus New Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/01/adobe-reader-updated-with-new-ios-7-style-design-plus-new-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** iPhoto Versus Photoshop Elements Comparison Review ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/photo-editing/shootout-iphoto-versus-photoshop-elements-3498229/>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

*** Review: Zagg Keys Cover For The iPad Air ***
<http://verynicewebsite.net/2014/01/review-zagg-keys-cover-for-the-ipad-air/>
John Moltz's Very Nice Web Site

> If you’re the kind of person who wants a keyboard for your iPad Air for extended writing, the Zagg is a great solution, one I feel I can really recommend. It combines some form of protection for the front of the Air with a solid typing experience, substantially better than the Logitech in my opinion.

*** 2013 MacBook Air WiFi Problems Continue To Plague Users ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/01/21/2013-macbook-air-wifi-problems-continue-to-plague-users/?ncid=rss_truncated>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> When using two laptops on the same network, Air users are often finding that their 2013 machines get wildly different speeds than other computers connected at the same time.

*** First Look: Beats Music Is Off To A Promising Start ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2089466/first-look-beats-music.html#tk.rss_all>
Christpher Breen, TechHive

> On its first day, Beats Music looks very promising. The interface is polished, the curation seems solid, social networking is well thought-out, and the library nicely stocked. It’s entirely worth your while to give the seven day trial a spin.

*** So You Want To Turn Your iPhone Into An Underwater Microscope... ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/01/21/so-you-want-to-turn-your-iphone-into-an-underwater-microscope/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** Apple Gets Reprieve From E-book Monitor's Oversight ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/21/us-apple-ebooks-idUSBREA0K12U20140121?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews>
Jonathan Stempel, Reuters

> The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York on Tuesday granted Apple a hearing on whether to stop the monitor, Michael Bromwich, from doing his job while the company pursues a formal appeal, which could last several months.

> In granting an "administrative stay," the 2nd Circuit said a three-judge panel would hear Apple's motion for a stay pending appeal as soon as possible.

*** The Phoenix Photo Editor Is A Quick And Powerful App For iPhone ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/01/21/the-phoenix-photo-editor-is-a-quick-and-powerful-app-for-iphone/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Go Minimalist With An App-Free Blank Home Screen In iOS ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/01/21/set-blank-home-screen-ios/>
OS X Daily

> All you are doing is creating a new blank page and placing that as the first screen you see when you unlock the device. So, want your home screen to be void of icons? Follow along.

*** What Hard Drive Should I Buy? ***
<http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/>
Brian Beach, Backblaze

*** Dumpling Party Marks Korean New Year With Hundreds Of Mandu And Dozens Of Eaters ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/dumpling-party-marks-korean-new-year-with-hundreds-of-mandu-and-dozens-of-eaters/2014/01/17/3859605a-7e2d-11e3-9556-4a4bf7bcbd84_story.html>
Cathy Barrow, Washington Post

> Grace Hong is pretty sure her mother would be appalled. Not at the fact that she and her husband celebrate the new year with traditional lucky mandu, dumplings made the Korean way. But possibly at every other aspect of their celebration. With 600 dumplings, 60 guests and an unmentionable amount of wine and beer, the annual fete they call Dumplingfest violates most, if not all, of her mother’s holiday traditions.

*** The Cult Of Overwork ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2014/01/27/140127ta_talk_surowiecki>
James Surowiecki, New Yorker