[MyAppleMenu] Jan 21, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 21 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** Big Brother On Your iPad: The Video Game That’s Taking On The Surveillance State ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/01/21/big_brother_on_your_ipad_the_video_game_thats_taking_on_the_surveillance_state/>
Steve Haske, Salon

> "République's" creator hopes the game makes people think about the ways their privacy's being invaded every day.

*** Apple’s iBooks Textbooks & iTunes U Course Manager Hit New Markets In Asia, Latin America, Europe ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/21/apples-ibooks-textbooks-itunes-u-course-manager-hit-new-markets-in-asia-latin-america-europe/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Autofocus Your iPhone Pictures Using The Volume Up Button ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2014/01/20/autofocus-camera-iphone-volume-button/>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

> I’m sure you know at this point that the iPhone lets you use the “volume up” button as a shutter button much like a point and shoot camera, but did you know that if you push and hold the button iOS won’t take a photo until the shot is in focus? It’s kind of like half pressing the shutter button on your point and shoot camera.

*** Take Control Of Your Photo Stream With MyPhotostream For OS X ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/01/take-control-of-your-photo-stream-with-myphotostream-for-os-x>
Joe White, AppAdvice

> If you’re looking for a simple, easy means of managing, saving, and backing up your iOS Photo Stream, consider ditching iPhoto for MyPhotostream.

*** The Hottest Ticket In Town: Mac Pro Delivery Estimates Slip To March ***
<http://www.imore.com/hottest-ticket-town-mac-pro-delivery-estimates-slip-march>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** VLC For iOS Gets New Look, Google Drive Integration, And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/vlc-ios-gets-new-look-google-drive-integration-and-more>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** Best Password Manager Apps For Mac: 1Password, LastPass, oneSafe, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-password-manager-apps-mac-1password-onesafe-lastpass-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** All I Needed To Know About Life I Learned From “Dungeons & Dragons” ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/01/21/all_i_needed_to_know_about_life_i_learned_from_dungeons_dragons/>
Ethan Gilsdorf, Salon

> Yes, it’s a fantasy game, and the whole enterprise is remarkably analog, powered by face-to-face banter, storytelling and copious Twizzlers and Doritos. But like any pursuit taken with seriousness (and the right dose of humor), Dungeons & Dragons is more than a mere game. Lessons can be applied to the human experience. In fact, all I really need to know about life I learned by playing D&D.

*** New Truths That Only One Can See ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/science/new-truths-that-only-one-can-see.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
George Johnson, New York Times