[MyAppleMenu] Jan 19, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 19 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Some 2011 MacBook Pros Experiencing GPU Glitches, System Crashes ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/17/2011-macbook-pro-gpu-glitches/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** Obama Throws Tech Companies Under The Bus ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/shinal/2014/01/18/nsa-obama-throws-tech-companies-under-the-bus/4638947/>
John Shinal, USA Today

> The president might as well have said, "Even we can't protect our iPhone communication."

> I can almost hear Apple CEO Tim Cook saying sarcastically, "Thank you, Mr. President!"

*** Review: Presentics Makes Nice-looking Presentations On iPad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/01/17/review-presentics-makes-nice-looking-presentations-on-ipad/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** How To Set Up Multiroom Audio With AirPlay Speakers And iTunes ***
<http://gigaom.com/2014/01/18/how-to-set-up-multiroom-audio-with-airplay-speakers-and-itunes/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

> Turning your entire house into one giant speaker is not only possible, but likely already probable. That is, provided all of the speakers in your house are AirPlay enabled. If they are, then it is surprisingly simple to send the audio from your iTunes music library to all of your speakers simultaneously.

*** Review: Tick Is A Clever, Colorful Way To Manage Your To-do List On iOS 7 ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/18/review-tick-is-a-clever-colorful-way-to-manage-your-to-do-list-on-ios-7/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Whitney Marks, 9 To 5 Mac

> Tick is a simple, highly customizable to-do list app that effectively uses color and animation to deliver a fun and motivating experience.

*** FTC Ruling In Apple In-App Purchase Case Generates Controversy ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14441?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Had Apple responded more quickly to the problems with a public statement, technical fix, and customer refunds, none of this would have happened. But happen it did, and it seems that once the millstones of government are set in motion, they grind inexorably to a conclusion, regardless of whether common sense would have moved on to more pressing issues long ago.

*** Technology Is Not Driving Us Apart After All ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/magazine/technology-is-not-driving-us-apart-after-all.html?ref=magazine&_r=0>
Mark Oppenheimer, New York Times

> In September 2008, two graduate students working for Keith Hampton, a professor at Rutgers, raised a camera atop a 16-foot tripod to film down into Bryant Park, the sprawling green space behind the main branch of the New York Public Library. They hit record, then milled about nearby pretending they had nothing to do with the rig, as it semi-surreptitiously filmed the comings and goings of hundreds of New Yorkers. The charade didn’t last. After an hour, Lauren Sessions Goulet, the more senior of the pair, found herself talking to the park’s private security force, which sent her to see their bosses, the Bryant Park Corporation. She was nervous.

> Across the street and up 11 floors, in the corporation’s Fifth Avenue office near the park, Goulet explained what Hampton had sent her there to do. “Look, we were just trying to refilm Whyte,” she said, pleading with them. To her relief, the corporation offered to help.

*** Does Evolution Evolve Under Pressure? ***
<http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/01/evolution-evolves-under-pressure/>
Emily Singer, Wired

> Rather than targeting specific traits, as Lamarck’s theory would have predicted, the mutations struck random genes, with some good outcomes and some bad. However, the process wasn’t completely random. Rosenberg’s findings suggested that bacteria were capable of increasing their mutation rates, which might in turn produce strains capable of surviving new conditions.

*** The World Is Now An Airport ***
<https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/9a1e5268ff39>
Medium