[MyAppleMenu] Jan 18, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 18 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** I Wrote An App! ***
<http://www.foxtrot.com/2014/01/i-wrote-an-app/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Foxtrotcom+%28FoxTrot.com%29>
Bill Amend, Foxtrot

*** Re-Ripping CDs With iTunes ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/re-ripping-cds-with-itunes/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Nomad ChargeKey Review: An iPhone Charger You Won’t Leave Home Without ***
<http://gigaom.com/2014/01/17/nomad-chargekey-review/>
Alex Colon, GigaOM

> Think about it: What’s the last thing you’re likely to leave the house without? I’ve forgotten my wallet once or twice, but unless you have a door that locks automatically, chances are your keys are just about guaranteed to go wherever you do. And that’s the beauty of the ChargeKey – it’s the same exact size as your average house key and it fits right on your key ring.

*** A Muted Beginning To Sales Of Apple’s iPhone Through China Mobile ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/technology/apples-latest-foray-into-china-gets-a-weak-response.html?hpw&rref=business&_r=0>
Eric Pfanner, New York Times

> China Mobile has been less aggressive on pricing and subsidies than some analysts had expected. To get the iPhone 5S free of charge, subscribers must commit to a two-year contract at 588 renminbi a month.

> China Unicom and China Telecom, which together have about 450 million customers, have cut the price of their competing iPhone packages only modestly since China Mobile announced its Apple agreement in December.

*** Take Control Of The Agenda With Meetings For Mac And iOS ***
<http://www.imore.com/take-control-agenda-meetings-mac-and-ios>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Meetings is an app by Exquisitus for iPhone, iPad, and Mac that helps you manage the various aspects of meetings for organization. Everything from setting and tracking the agend to meeting minutes can be handled within the app.

*** Beware Of This Apple ID Phishing Scam ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/01/17/beware-of-this-apple-id-phishing-scam/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** GoodReader Gets A Big Update For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/iphone/goodreader-gets-a-big-update-for-ios-7/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

*** Five Ways To Reset A Lost Administrator Password ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14437?rss>
Alicia Katz Pollock, TidBITS

> Let’s explore all the options to reset a password. Which you should use depends on the specific version of Mac OS X, and how the Mac is set up.

*** Andrew's Brain – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/17/andrews-brain-el-doctorow-review>
Jane Smiley, The Guardian

> The ending of <i>Ragtime</i> is a sad but just one – when characters die, it is because they are working out their fates. All the characters, even the drunken volunteer fireman who deposits a pile of faeces in the car of a black man audacious enough to drive a new Model T, pay their debt of mortification. Doctorow is not nearly that hopeful any more. In <i>Andrew's Brain</i>, only Andrew is even curious about justice. The others get away with murder.

*** Austin City Limits: ‘Famous Writers I Have Known,’ By James Magnuson ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/books/review/famous-writers-i-have-known-by-james-magnuson.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Adam Langer, New York Times

> Then again, what is book criticism but another con game, using literary evidence and textual references to give the reader the illusion of authority?

*** The Paratext's The Thing ***
<http://chronicle.com/article/The-Paratexts-the-Thing/143761/>
Thomas Doherty, The Chronicle Of Higher Education