[MyAppleMenu] Feb 8, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 8 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** FileMaker Pro 13 Review ***
<http://www.itproportal.com/reviews/software/filemaker-pro-13-review/>
Samara Lynn, ITProPortal.com

> FileMaker reigns supreme when it comes to building beautiful custom apps for non-programmers. The commitment to detail and aesthetics is readily apparent with this software, and I actually find it an enjoyable platform on which to create an app.

*** 2013 Mac Pro FirePro D700 Opengl Is Better Than We Thought It Was ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/02/2013-mac-pro-firepro-d700-opengl-is-better-than-we-thought-it-was/>
Dave Girard, Ars Technica

> While this issue still needs to be resolved for some programs like modo, some quick sleuthing by Apple and AMD shows that the problem was on the Autodesk side. Maya was not simply querying the GPU RAM; for some reason, it was using a hard ceiling on OS X, so the brutal performance hit was the result of that ceiling. Once you explicitly tell Maya to use your available VRAM with the environment variable MAYA_OGS_GPU_MEMORY_LIMIT=6000 in ~/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2014-x64/Maya.env, performance is perceptibly the same as in Windows in Boot Camp with very large scenes.

Also: • <a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57618576-263/fix-poor-high-polygon-rendering-in-maya-on-the-new-mac-pro/">Fix poor high-polygon rendering in Maya on the new Mac Pro</a> (Topher Kessler, CNET)

*** Who Says There Are No Mac Games? 10 Places Where To Can Buy Them Right Now! ***
<http://www.imore.com/who-says-there-are-no-mac-games-10-places-where-can-buy-them-right-now>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: Of Track Lengths, Genre Sorting, And Remote Storage ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2092388/ask-the-itunes-guy-of-track-lengths-genre-sorting-and-remote-storage.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> In this week’s column, I look at four interesting questions. One about setting the start and end time for tracks in the cloud, another about shunting some or all iTunes media files to another location, and two about smart playlists.

*** Daily App: Threes! Is A Tiny Puzzler That'll Convince You Math Is Cool ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/02/07/daily-app-threes-is-a-tiny-puzzler-thatll-convince-you-math-i/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** The Saturday Poem: And ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/08/and-alison-brackenbury-saturday-poem>
Alison Brackenbury, The Guardian

*** Book Review: 'E.E. Cummings' By Susan Cheever ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304632204579338622139238750?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304632204579338622139238750.html>
David Mason, Wall Street Journal

> E.E. Cummings's was always experimental, occasionally sentimental, but endlessly surprising.

*** A Long Account Of Calamities ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2014/02/w_g_sebald_s_essay_collection_a_place_in_the_country_reviewed.single.html>
Mark O'Connell, Slate

> Essays by W.G. Sebald on writers, art, and the abyss.

*** Deep Inside Baz Luhrmann’s Creative Chaos ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/magazine/deep-inside-baz-luhrmanns-creative-chaos.html?ref=magazine&_r=1>
Amy Wallace, New York Times

> Baz Luhrmann likes to say that his life is “a circus run like an army,” and to step into his boudoir is to begin to understand what he means. After noon on a Friday, the 51-year-old auteur is sitting up in bed, his lower half under the covers, silver hair and black T-shirt rumpled from sleep. His wife and frequent creative collaborator, Catherine Martin, known to everyone as C. M., lies curled beside him atop a flax-colored linen duvet. Four assistants occupy chairs around them, all holding laptops. Each of the young people who gather under Luhrmann’s big top has a fantastical back story, at least in his telling. One went to Eton and speaks perfect Chinese; another has a “grandpappy who created a little firm called the C.I.A.” All have areas of concentration — communications, for example, or “moving Baz through time and geography” — and all have been trained in “the Bazmark way,” which means that they carry portable tape recorders to capture his directives and strive always to anticipate his needs. Judging by their alert posture at this moment, something momentous is about to happen. The impish ringmaster is having a vision.

*** Bridled Vows: Jenny Offill's 'Dept. Of Speculation' ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/books/review/jenny-offills-dept-of-speculation.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Roxane Gay, New York Times

> Jenny Offill’s second novel, “Dept. of Speculation,” charts the course of a marriage through curious, often shimmering fragments of prose.

*** Rise Of The Platishers ***
<http://recode.net/2014/02/07/rise-of-the-platishers/>
Jonathan Glick, Re/code