[MyAppleMenu] Feb 9, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 9 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Apple Complains Of 'Patent Trolls' ***
<http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple-patent-trolls-20140208,0,4901528.story#axzz2smPHw0vF>
Chris O'Brien, Los Angeles Times

> In court and regulatory filings, Apple provided a rare look at the amount of litigation it is facing from companies whose main business involves threatening to file patent lawsuits against other companies unless they agree to make royalty payments. Apple has faced nearly 100 such lawsuits in the last three years, according to the documents.

*** The News: A User's Manual By Alain De Botton – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/09/news-manual-alain-botton-review>
Peter Preston, The Guardian

> The anxious question journalists ask themselves every morning seems simple enough, but is often devilishly difficult: What is newsworthy? (And where the hell can I find enough of it to fill page one?) Alain de Botton, staging yet another of his philosophical firework displays, asks a rather different question. Here is a construct he calls The News. What is it, and does obsessing over it do us any good?

*** Vacant Slots: The Ghost In Macau’s Slot Machines ***
<http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1421344/vacant-slots-ghost-macaus-slot-machines>
Olivia Rosenman, South China Morning Post

> Macau's gaming revenue is almost four times that of the entire state of Nevada, home to Las Vegas and the United States' gaming industry. In Nevada, slot machines bring in almost twice as much money as do table games. In Macau the slots account for a paltry 4 per cent of takings.

*** The Slow Decline Of American Chinatowns ***
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25920980>
Aidan Lewis, BBC

> Chinatowns are a feature of many US cities, but some of the best known are succumbing to gentrification, campaigners say. Even one of the largest and most vibrant, in Manhattan, is slowly being invaded by luxury shops and apartment buildings.

*** White House Social Aides Have Front Seat To History ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/white-house-social-aides-have-front-seat-to-history/2014/02/06/d4a70374-68f0-11e3-ae56-22de072140a2_story.html>
Michael K. Bohn, Washington Post